Thread: Fantastic holiday accommodation on the Algarve

Forum Member

Cool Fantastic holiday accommodation on the Algarve

We are hoping to be able to book ourselves a trip out to Portugal to spend time with my family while soaking up a bit of sun!

My dad has found these fantastic apartments and my brother in law has seen it for himself as he has done some electrical work. The cost of the apartments looks a little pricey - until you realise it included 'loan' of a WAV; and there is a pool with a hoist.

Run by a couple who used to have disabled accommodation lets in Cornwall and have now relocated to the Algarve, just west of Lagos. It's a lovely area (I've been visiting for 30 years).

Check it out here: http://www.tregooselet.co.uk/
    Tessa

Do not dwell on the things you cannot change, instead put your energy into those you can!

Hi Tessa. Sounds great havnt got a passport but can remedy that if there is room in the case for me. Just done similar and booked a lodge in woodland with ramp access again bit pricey but what the hell we are going for it. Hope all goes well best wishes. Gerald

Forum Member
    Well, we are back from our holiday and I am pleased to report the apartment was even better than we had ever dared to hope.
    The rooms were spacious, all the equipment we needed was available: hospital beds, mobile transfer hoist, shower chair/commode, rise and recline chair, pool hoist/chair/sling/floats... the list goes on. Bryn and Hazel collected us from the airport in one of their WAVs which we then had use of for our stay. They live onsite and were around for help and advice without being intrusive.
    http://www.tregooselet.co.uk/

We employed carers from http://www.madrugada-portugal.com/.- a charity providing end of life support on the Algarve.
    They have a small trading company called Hibiscus which provides Nursing Care and Healthcare Support, as well as equipment hire. Any profit from Hibiscus goes towards the charitable work of Madrugada. They charge €12.00 per hour for Healthcare Support Work and 24€ per hour for Nursing Care. All their Nurses and Healthcare Support Workers are fully qualified and their Nurses are required to be registered in Portugal.

Using http://daysofadventure.com/en/ in Lagos we went dolphin watching; I remained in my electric wheelchair the whole time thanks to their ramps.
    Tessa

Do not dwell on the things you cannot change, instead put your energy into those you can!

Like Tessa, we are recently returned from a great holiday touring South America for 26 days. We went to Galapagos Islands, Ecuador, Peru,
    Bolivia, Argentina and Brazil. The tour was not without incident as I managed to fall out of a boat when going ashore. Fortunately it was only 3 feet of water and I wasn't injured but my Nikon is beyond repair. Whilst walking around Lima I missed a step "that wasn't there" and fell head first on the pavement and metal guard rail. I was treated at the excellent Anglo American Hospital where they stitched my broken nose inside and out and bandaged my head so I looked like a mummy. 2 days later we were boarding a plane for the next destination and the ground crew refused to let me on as I may be a bleed risk. After a frantic call to the hospital and I discussion with the surgeon the airline allowed me to board.
    I bought a walking stick as I refused to let this accident spoil the rest of my holiday and the remainder of the trip was without incident. Highlights were Machu Picchu, Iguazu Falls, Lake Titticaca and snorkelling with sharks, sting rays and turtles. I am better in water than on land.
    My wife suggests we holiday closer to home in future but whilst I can still get insurance cover I am happy to push the boundaries of limitation the MND throws at us.
    Best wishes to all.
    Barry

Sounds like quite a trip. Hope you snorkelled before you were mummified.
    The loss of the camera is bad but the photos are irreplaceable. Did you manage to salvage any images?

John

Forum Member
    I wish I had taken my dream trip before I lost the use of my limbs.
    Tessa

Hi John,
    Sailing the Galapagos Islands was at the start of the trip so my camera was out of action for the remainder although we were able to save the images on the memory card. The iPad was used for the remainder of the holiday and whilst it is not as versatile as a Nikon and zoom lens, it takes some good images.
    I understand your feelings Tessa but you will always have those memories of holidays past when you were more active. MND can never remove the memories of the good times past.

Barry

Forum Member
    Tessa