Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Pip

Forum Member

Pip

Hi everyone

This week my husband who has pls asked me to chase up the PIP form that we completed and sent off in October 2013. This is the second time that I have phoned them and was told that our form was received on the 29th October and forwarded for an assessment on the 7th November and that we should have heard something within 12-16weeks.

I patiently explained that my husband had MND and that since October his condition had deteriorated and that now he could not cook a simple meal dress himself dry himself or walk a very sort distance without hello and that I did not know What his condition would be next week.!!!!

She said she would send me out a paper based request form something that they did not normally do but because of his illness she would do and that I should send a copy of a letter from his consultant to support the PIP form.

So now I wait for this form not exactly sure what it is and how long it will take to be processed.

Anyone had a similar situation.

Lyn lilylou

Lyn ,
    I submitted a PIP claim for myself on 5th August 2013. After I filled out the form my situation deteriorated. I rang them up several times over the months until it got to the stage that they couldn't understand what I was saying as my speech has now gone.

On 29th January this year after almost six months they paid out, backdated to 5th August - as I couldn't speak they relied on my Speech Therapist for input so I didn't go for an assessment,

It is scandalous how long they take. My husband Keith has since applied for Carers Allowance based on my PIP - but that can only be backdated 3 months - that took about 2 weeks to come through.

I am not surprised that ATOS now want out of the contract to follow up on people.

Kind Regards

Geraldine

You can ask your GP for a letter called DS1500 which explains the patient condition and send to PIP to bypasses all the form filling

David

I was an Aug application and got approved mid Feb.

Made my blood boil to see that ***** IDS claiming they were on track and there was no backlog.

Forum Member
    Hi Lyn

I chased up on my PIP application a few days ago and was told a similar thing, it's been processed by DWP and sent to the Assessors. I've been told that they should be in touch with me in 12 - 16 weeks and, if I've not heard by then to call the PIP Helpline and they will then, and only then, give me a contact number for the Assessment Centre dealing so that I can chase it up. Apparently DWP can't chase the Assessors!

I believe there are two companies, ATOS and Capita who are dealing with the assessments and a quick search of the internet reveals both have significant problems with both IT systems and staffing (no excuse in my view) that are causing delays of over 6 months for many claimants.

I believe that a Dame Anne Begg, who chairs the Commons Works & Pensions Committee, is already receiving numerous e-mails from people who have been waiting more than 6 months - perhaps she should receive a few more

Good luck if you decide to chase it up.

Arthur

Forum Member
    Hi David

In your experience how easy is it to obtain the DS1500? My understanding, which might be wrong, is that it tends to only be issued if life expectancy is 6 months or less which, thankfully, for most of us is probably not the case.

Thanks

Arthur

it depends on the health professional concerned. Some go by the book and others will 'take a view'.

Quote Originally Posted by Artmart View Post
    Hi David

In your experience how easy is it to obtain the DS1500? My understanding, which might be wrong, is that it tends to only be issued if life expectancy is 6 months or less which, thankfully, for most of us is probably not the case.

Thanks

Arthur
    Hi Arthur,
    In my case because it was the bulbar form I got diagnosed with and considering the time taken to diagnose me ,it's assumed I had MND for anything up to two years prior ,hence the thinking being from the professionals at the time was I fitted the criteria of the DS1500 , not that sorry that I haven't complied with the doom and gloom merchants ,that said we have no treatment or a cure ,so it's a matter of time .
    All I need is a miracle

Forum Member
    Thanks all for your replies Robert is due to see his consultant this month and I will certainly be asking him for a ds1500.

Many thanks and will let you know how I get on.

Lyn lilylou

Forum Member
    It took 7 months from application to approval for me, I involved my mp that didn't make much difference.