Thread: Width of wheel chairs

Trevorhb

Width of wheel chairs

So far, only my voice is effected, but who knows what will happen to me? We are in a 4 bedroom house with a large garden, so we have put that on the market and are presently looking for a bungalow. My question is what is the minimum width of a wheel chair as we do not want to move and find we cannot use one around the house.

pete
    Hi Trevor ,
    We are in the same process ,and like everything else ,the width of chairs varies ,powered one more bulkier ,and depending on what type you also need to consider threshold heights and turning space ,as far as I know a minimum of 600mm is needed in doorways ,the DDA requirements are extensive ,most manual chairs are less cumbersome but you need to allow for hand trapping on door frames ,so the bigger the better but your OT will advise you on the myriad things you may need .

Trevorhb
    Many thanks. We are waiting for a OT referral but any info we can get is helpful.

Davec
    Have a look at the accessibilityplanet.com site for some information
    Dave

Alan Livett
    Hi Trevor. We have had to widen our doors downstairs to accommodate my wheelchair. It was not a particularly difficult adaptation in the greater scheme of things. If you are looking for a bungalow I would consider access and space for a wetroom as a greater priority. We have put double doors into my bedroom which has solved the problem of sufficient turning space. Regards Alan.

gerald
    Hi all this is a subject that is occupying our minds at present so far we manage but we go out vis patio doors so wide enough but not in postion to just sell up etc, we have had o/t suppled glide around commode which is like a simple wheel chair but how long we can do that goodness knows. All very worrying. Gerald

john
    Hi Trevor,
    We sold a house and bought a bungalow which we altered for Irene's needs. We changed all door widths to 33 inches /840mms. This gave access to all rooms for indoor motorised wheelchairs and non-motorised. We put ramps or level access everywhere and built a wet room for our bedroom which had full turning space for her wheelchairs and shower chairs. We also laid wood flooring in our bedroom and all living spaces which enabled the wheelchairs to travel better and made for cleanable surfaces.

John

Bilando
    Gd afternoon Trevor,
    John makes sense if the work is possible. Solid floors, no mats/rugs or kids (who leave an obstacle course in front of you). The ability to position your chair in line before progressing through the doorway is important and may allow you to leave a door frame unaltered. Another cheap option is to remove the door thus gaining 55mm (2+" to old timers). I use a powered chair indoors quite happily but the skirtings and doors show my mistakes. Such cosmetic damage is easily rectified when I move on.

Trevorhb
    Thanks guys, very helpful.