Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mum's confirmed diagnosis

Forum Member

Mum's confirmed diagnosis

Hi everyone, Mum has just had her appointment and the consultant confirmed that she has MND. She's shocked and upset and scared, but I have "known" since the end of April when I spoke to her consultant, She's at the hospital now waiting for her meds (which I assume is Riluzole??) but I have no details as was hard to hear, I will speak to her again later. When I found out in April I couldn't eat for 2 weeks and was so so down so I hope she doesn't have to go through that, she is very religious so I'm hoping she will cling onto that. Just thought I'd update you all. Becky

Forum Member
    Our best wishes go with you Becky.

Forum Member
    Hi Becky

Not words anyone wants to hear confirmed. Hope you and your Mom can see the rainbow thru the clouds your Mom is LIVING with mnd not dying. Remember we are all dying from the moment we are born, it’s what we do with the time we have from now till then that really matters.

The best to both of you in the days ahead.

CCxxx

Forum Member
    Hello, Becky. Did the consultant say what strain of MND she had? It is a terrible shock for her - did she have no indication at all? Does she know what MND is all about? It is all a very sad time for you. I too have a really strong faith and have people praying for me all over the world. It didn't stop the diagnosis but I am hoping it will slow down the progression! I do hope your Mum will be OK. It is such a shock hearing news like this. Keep in touch with us all.

Can only ok what the other forumites have said!
    This forum will give you support and knowledge that exists.Nowhere else !

Forum Member
    So sorry for the diagnosis Becky. You will find the strength somehow, like we all have done, to help your Mum. It is times like these that the love you have for each other see us through. I hope that her faith will be a great support for her. Love Diane

Hi Becky,
    Sorry to hear your mums diagnosis being confirmed, perhaps her having a strong faith will help her deal with the news she received , I know you felt she had it a while back, but like most people having it spelt out in black and white does leave even the strongest types a bit insecure to say the least, As there giving her meds to take I hope she proves able to take it without any side effects.
    At least knowing now will give her access to the support nurses who really are very good at what they do, just make sure you try to keep one step ahead , as getting things doesn't always happen quickly. As for yourself we will be here if you need us. Take care.

Pete
    All I need is a miracle

Hi Becky sorry to read your news there is no easy way to deal with a diagnosis like this. You hve found your way to the forum which is great, we are all here to help you,mum and family. Try to get all the info you can and dont be afraid to seek help.. sending you our best wiahes in the days ahead. Please ask anything you wish there are many wise and wonderful people here to help.

Take care god bless gerald

Forum Member
    Hi Becky. So sorry about your Mums diagnosis. I can remember when my Mum was diagnosed last year. I had done the same as you and had researched her symptoms. It literally took over my life! I had diagnosed her long before the consultant and felt physically sick for weeks. I only saw doom and gloom before and thought her life would be total rubbish (she was super fit and healthy) but we have got into a routine and I would definitely say, actually as CC says, she is living with MND. I can't say it's easy now, over a year down the line but we are managing and you will too. Life goes on but different. I really feel for you and know what it like all but things will settle down I promise, and you will start to see the woods from the trees or whatever the saying is!!
    I have asked a few questions as I've gone along on here and everyone is great.
    Thinking of you all
    Sarah x

Sorry to learn of this Becky.

Sarah has written an excellent post above me - it's a very good example of how we can help each other here. There is some excellent carer advice for you in the relevant part of this Forum too. Knowing the type of MND seems to help with regards to advice.

Best wishes to you both.

Jock