Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: the reality!

Forum Member
    Just to add, Trevor, I liked your article and your photograph. It is good to put a face to the name! Good luck with the move.

Forum Member
    Ed's mobility is now only a couple of steps even with a walker. The manual wheelchair is too hard for him to use on his own as he has severe breathing problems. He has a Spectra electric wheelchair but it is so big for indoors, we did some research and have just bought a Rascal 312 turnabout which has transformed his life, he can get into and use to get around indoors, he can get out to the garden on his own.

It was a lot of money but to see the smile on his face when he realised that he had got his independence back was worth every penny. He has even been across to see some neighbours in their garden which he has not done for months. It is sometimes a hard decision to make but a little help whether it is mechanical or carer help can make such a difference.

Hope everyone is having a good day. Love Diane

Hi Wills,

I agree with the others guys and gals, my aim now is to do what I can and try not to think about what I can't, then if I need a reality wake up ,I think of so many others who can do so little now, that kind of puts it in perspective . Do what you can and enjoy it.

Regards
    Pete
    X
    All I need is a miracle

Forum Member
    wise words, Pete. wise words! We were supposed to be on our way to Kent today but we looked at the garden and then we looked in the fridge at the cans of beer. No contest! We are going tomorrow instead! x

Quote Originally Posted by willsandco View Post
    wise words, Pete. wise words! We were supposed to be on our way to Kent today but we looked at the garden and then we looked in the fridge at the cans of beer. No contest! We are going tomorrow instead! x
    Wise choice enjoy the evening and will salute you with my brandy and coke ,via a straw ?
    All I need is a miracle

Forum Member
    Hello
    Wow I am so impressed with all the positivity on this thread. Hubby is fighting everything, metaphorically speaking. He is angry, he is hacked off this disease chose him. He walks very slowly, he's no balance and very unsteady and we used to walk miles with our dogs, go all over the Peak District over to the coast, into woods. Pack a few sarnies, a flask and off we'd go. I will tell him about how much freedom you guys got once you tried it. I know he sees using a scooter as giving in. It took me a fortnight to get him to use a stick. I have to work on him a bit harder as I feel like MND is winning.
    Thanks forum people xxxx Sylv

Forum Member
    Hi Sylv, as you live in Cambs why not try Anglesey Abbey for a little trip. They have mobility scooters to borrow and it's a good way to try them out. You can go a long way round the grounds and hopefully not see anyone you know, which might suit your hubby.You have to book ahead by phone. I have used them all over the place when I was able to, and then I got one of my own second hand. Can't really use that now so it may be up for a new home! I was very fit and active before MND, as were so many of us,and am now, 2 years later, a permanent powerchair user. Frustration and anger are only a few of the emotions we go through.

Forum Member
    I remember when out shopping a few years ago struggling to hold onto a stick to keep my balance whilst at the same trying to open my purse. When I told my son he was amazed I didn't use my 4 wheel walker (rollator). And why didn't i? Because I was bloodyminded and wanted to be independent. Then I had a lightbulb moment and realised I might be better off if I did use the rollator. And when I did a whole new world opened up. This fighting spirit helps some of keep battling but there comes a time when it is counterproductive .

Hi x that was really touching about the guy who'd go a million miles to help someone suffering with mnd. people can be so kind Enjoy your holiday the Sutherland area is really beautiful tc. Becky x

Hi wills and co i dont see this as a rant you are right most of just what the simple things in life to shsre with our loved ones all the things you talk about are similar here. Last year christine and i had several journeys in our motorhome getting out and about, sadly its now up for sale as too dangerous on our own to manipulate christine into the vehicle avoiding falls etc. But like you planing hols with wheelchair friendly cottages, we are even going to take a carer with us so that its a break for the both of us. All we all can do is keep going. You go for it what ever you want to do im sure youl find a way best wishes goodluck and sock it to em

Geraldxxxx