Thread: An Eye on Clinical Trials

An Eye on Clinical Trials

Hi all,

May newsletter from the Packard Center. Some positive words on Ceftriaxone:

Of special interest: Since the screening, ceftriaxone continues to show the same sort of potential in animal models of Parkinsonís disease, multiple sclerosis and stroke as in ALS models ó all of which, Cudkowicz says, strengthens the idea of neuroprotective properties.
    and Dexpramipexole:

Dexpramipexole, a variation of a not-uncommon Parkinsonís disease medication, comes with certain advantages that encourage testing it as a therapy: Its particular structure lets it be used at a higher dosage, which may, Cudkowicz (above) says, tap the neuroprotective ability that earlier studies hint at. Also, the drug slips well into the central nervous system and shows signs of assisting cell energy production.
    and the best of all a positive note on the future:

Each of these studies (of ceftriaxone, dexpramipexole and another agent, ISIS 333611) has people excited. Itís been a long time since there has been this much excitement and hope in the community.
    http://www.alscenter.org/news/newsle...al_trials.html

I think we all know the potential of Dexpramipexole but was surprised about Ceftriaxone as I'm sure I read on other forums that people on this trial were seeing no perceivable signs of their progression slowing. But hey, I could be wrong as its quite hard to keep up with everything going on.

Has anyone else read anything positive about Ceftriaxone?

Matt

Forum Member
    Dear matt,
    I am really thankful to you for providing this useful information.