Thread: Diarrhrea and bulbar motor neurone

Forum Member

Diarrhrea and bulbar motor neurone

My husband had a blocked bowel and was in hospital for 9 days. He has been home now for 3 weeks and has started to get diarrhea so bad that he doesn't know when it is going to happen and can't make the toilet. Could this be to do with the motor neurone? Has anyone else experienced this would be grateful for your comments.

Bonnylass

Hi Bonnylass;

you are not alone, have a look at this thread:-

http://forum.mndassociation.org/show...light=diarrhea

Regards Terry

Hi bony lass. Know exactly how you feel about this. Christin muscle issues so can't be ruled out. We use no 8 amends for protection but got gp involved. We have a regime in place with districk nurses who come twice w week we use suppositories to try and educate the bowel into working normally, not easy but recent results better. When we get out take spare everything with us. Not an ideal situation alas. Afraid trail and error would suggest get gp involved see what they think.
    Geraldxxx

Hi Bonnylass x Yes my dad had lots of problems with his bowels like your husband since having MND. He was told by the neurologist it was because he couldn't move, but after reading this maybe it's more to do with MND. Sorry I can't add anything more helpful with the problem. Hope your GP can help as Gerald suggests and things settle down soon. tc Becky x

Hi Bonnylass,
    It could be that your husband is having “overflow diarrhoea” , if he is constipated again. Did the hospital give you advice on how to avoid a repetition of the blocked bowel? If he’s not going to the loo often enough, his bowels get full and eventually he can have overflow, which is liquidy (sorry for being graphic)
    As he has bulbar symptoms, can he drink enough fluids? (I don’t know if he has a PEG, which can be used for hydration) He should see his GP, as Gerald said, who might put him on a maintenance dose of laxatives. My advice is to sort out the problem before it becomes chronic, as it can be all consuming.
    Ellie x

Forum Member
    Thank you all for your replies we are going to the motor neurone clinic next week and I will discuss it with them.

Bonnylass