Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Stair lift rip offs

Forum Member

Stair lift rip offs

I was discouraged from thinking along the lines of a stairlift by health professionals a it would not see Peter all the way through his condition. Recently I realised that, as the adaptations will not start until after Christmas, Peter could benefit from a stairlift now. I telephoned the first firm in the phone book and they sent a rep around. He quoted a figure of 5850 I was surprised it was so high and mentions that I might ask the MNDA for help. The price was immediately reduced to 5000 on the grounds that the MNDA would ask for a discount!
    AmI alone on planet magic? I had explained to the rep that we were getting no help with adaptations and that money was tight. He still quoted me an inflated figure and only reduced it when I mentioned MNDA. I was telephoned a few days later and gave the sales manage short shrift, insisting that he did not call again. He did call and got Peter and was promoting reconditioned lifts ( the visiting rep had run the whole idea of these). Peter used a lot of his depleted energy talking to this cretin. Is ther no ethical code for this parasites?

Magic

Hi magic,

Would have thought by now anything to do with disability sends the cash register into melt down,
    I have seen adverts for hiring stair lifts long and short term hire periods, my father in law bought his paid about a grand, it was a straight stair job they do loads, and no they have no ethics whatsoever, it's a Money maker all round .

Best wishes

Pete
    All I need is a miracle

Forum Member
    How about the option of hiring one? Ours cost 500 a year to rent - a simple straight stair.

Daiel

Forum Member
    Our stairs have 2 turns. We have chosen a reconditioned one from another firm. Maintenance contract very good.
    Magic

concernedrelative
    My mum had a fall recently, and after returning home from hospital the OT and myself realised my mum needed a stairlift. I decided to do some research and found there seamed to be 3 main companies, Stannah,Acorn and Age uk stairlifts, we decided to have Age uk as we liked the thought of dealing with a charity rather than a large business, and we had heard stories of pressure sales from the other companies.
    We made an appointment, thier surveyor came round, who did not pressure us and informed us that the lift would be a straight stairlift called a minivator 950. This would cost 1900 and he told us this was the same price to any Age uk customer, which we liked so we purchased. The lift was fit a week later and everything was fine.
    Some weeks later a neighbour of ours had a stairlift installed, I called in to have a look and found it to be the same stairlift as ours. She had purchased it from a company called Companion for 1400 brand new.
    I decided to research this company and found that Companion and Age uk are run from the same building in Leeds, they are owned by a larger company called Handicare who supply them with minivator stairlifts.
    So if we had called Companion we could have had the same stairlift with the same warranty fit by the same engineers for 500 less, what a con, Age uk are supposed to be helping the elderly! how does this help my mum by taking 500 more for the same product, totally disgusting, wish I had gone to Stannah.

Forum Member

Talking Stair Lift Installation

Quote Originally Posted by concernedrelative View Post
    My mum had a fall recently, and after returning home from hospital the OT and myself realised my mum needed a stairlift. I decided to do some research and found there seamed to be 3 main companies, Stannah,Acorn and Age uk stairlifts, we decided to have Age uk as we liked the thought of dealing with a charity rather than a large business, and we had heard stories of pressure sales from the other companies.
    We made an appointment, thier surveyor came round, who did not pressure us and informed us that the lift would be a straight stairlift called a minivator 950. This would cost 1900 and he told us this was the same price to any Age uk customer, which we liked so we purchased. The lift was fit a week later and everything was fine.
    Some weeks later a neighbour of ours had a stairlift installed, I called in to have a look and found it to be the same stairlift as ours. She had purchased it from a company called Companion for 1400 brand new.
    I decided to research this company and found that Companion and Age uk are run from the same building in Leeds, they are owned by a larger company called Handicare who supply them with minivator stairlifts.
    So if we had called Companion we could have had the same stairlift with the same warranty fit by the same engineers for 500 less, what a con, Age uk are supposed to be helping the elderly! how does this help my mum by taking 500 more for the same product, totally disgusting, wish I had gone to Stannah.
    My Grandma had a few problems with her stairlift in the residential home that she is staying in, but she was quite lucky with hers as Sheridan Lifts came to repair any problems that there was with it on the same day and were very helpful on the phone to her. I stayed and waited for the lift engineers to make sure they didn't take advantage! I would maybe try them or just see how much their lift services costs are. They work with a lot of care homes, so here is their website in case you wanted some contact information - sheridanlifts.com. I would definitely do some research first and I can understand your frustration! Sometimes the more established companies like AGE UK aren't always the best!

Moderator note: This company deal with lift maintenance, but the standard type, not stairlifts.
    Last edited by MikeFD; 21st November 2012 at 00:24. Reason: Deactivated commercial back-link.

Forum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by concernedrelative View Post

My first post and just thought I would share my stairlift experience which was similar to the post above. I too phoned a number of stairlift companies including the actual manufactures and was shocked by the prices quoted. I eventually ended up finding a local company in Leeds called Unicorn Stairlifts who supplied a rental curved stairlift. There prices are in black & white with no surprises, in fact the price we paid was as per there website.

We had quotes for thousands of pounds from other suppliers and in the end we paid a small fraction by renting a curved stairlift from Unciron Stairlifts which was ideal because the stairlift is only needed temporary. I'll admit it was hard finding a company that rent curved stairlifts but eventually we did. Highly recommended, link to there website: http://www.unicornstairlifts.co.uk/coverage/leeds/

Forum Member
    When OT first came in they told my husband that they would not provide him with a stairlift as "they will not get value for money". I was absolutely furious with her words. We have had a stairlift fitted this July through a company called AST - I rang MND Connect and they recommended this company. I also spoke to our MND Visitor who knew someone who had used this company and they were very please.

When they came they explained very clearly the price and because we had a turn at the top of the stairs. We had decided to fund this ourselves even though MND said they could probably help if we got a form signed from the OT. After her first visit I did not want to speak to her again about the stairlift. AST recommended a reconditioned one which cost 2,600 - he said people rarely bought new ones as they were very expensive and once they were reconditioned they were as new. There is a great backup from these people and we have been very pleased. There was no calling after they had given us the price to chase us which was much appreciated. I think these people are mainly based in the South but I would highly recommend them.

Hope everyone is having a good day. Diane

Hi all,

Stairlift rip off farce, I needed one last year was fitted a straight 3.6 metre for 2500 because
    My legs have totally gone I can no longer use it.
    I made contact with home care 12 weeks ago who offered 150 quid for if. Insulted by the
    offer I decided to offer it free to MNDA they in turn found a candidate 7 weeks ago.
    I still have it in my home evidently it has taken all this time for approval I'm absolutely
    disgusted with the time it has taken to sort the person in Oxfordshire and the rip off price
    for installation and subsequent offer.

Roy the rant!
    Good as it gets :-)

Evening Roy ,

Said it before and nothing's changed my mind, Everything to do with Disability is a Rip off !!!, as for stair lifts ,well the father in law was Welsh ,and not known for his chucking money around ,but he certainly spent a fortune on himself as age caught up with him , despite being advised at eighty odd to hire rather than buy ,,,!!! He bought as always not cheap nearly A grand for a straight lift . Twelve months later he moved into sheltered housing and yes you guessed it the company offered to help him out no charge for removing it and they gave him the sum of fifty pounds as a good will gesture , now that's what I call a rip off ,I pay forty pounds a month it was fitted in three hours the day after we ordered it no fuss no mess and no charge once it's redundant to remove it ,and 24 hr call out service . My point is there are good companies out there but a lot more con merchants ,who see us mugs as easy targets in just about everything we will need at some point , Enjoy the evening folks
    Last edited by pete; 15th February 2014 at 17:33.
    All I need is a miracle