Thread: Advice on a Scooter for Hubby Please

Forum Member

Advice on a Scooter for Hubby Please

Hello All,

More advice please. Jim is still walking for his paper every morning, but can no longer walk the distances he used to. I am thinking of buying him a second hand scooter for the winter as I don't want him falling. Can anyone recommend an easy one. Any tips on what we should be looking for? And also does weight of a person matter(probably a stupid question, sorry) but if it does he is just under 10 stone. Also what about insurance, do you need it, and if so where is the best place to go for it.

Spring x
    Evil triumphs when good men stand by and do nothing.

Forum Member
    don't buy anything yet, Spring. Talk to your OT or ring MND Connect for advice. I think someone might do a loan free of charge. Terry probably has some advice about this too. My OT told me not to buy anything until I spoke to her and I haven't (except for my magic stick) Hugs Joycie xx

Hi spring;

Joycie's idea is worth a shoot. I bought a Pride Gogo plus some four years ago and it has been great. It like most can be taken apart easily to go in a car, will travel 6 miles and go up steep hills. The smaller scooters don't have suspension which is fine as long as Jim's back is ok. Might be worth trying a couple at your local disability shop before you buy anything to make sure it suits.

I am 13 and a half stone so Jim's weight won't be a problem with most of them. I sure that he will love one, such independence and a means to travel, there are great!

There are other makes that people have found to be good and if you don't want to go as far some have smaller batteries. Three wheel ones are generally more movable in shops or around house. If your not so strong there are lighter ones as well.

New ones are under 700 but sometimes cheaper.

Always ask questions if buying second hand, Terry

Forum Member
    Thank you both. I will take both of your advice and ring OT but not our allocated one, think I will contact the lady in Liverpool who seems far more switched on with MND. Also we have a shop here called "Dice" dont know much about them but I know they have scooters for sale. Terry what do you think about insurance?

Spring x

Forum Member
    Our house insurance covered my scooter for theft and third party damage at no extra charge. I just told them I had it. It probably depends on your own policy but worth asking. We are with NFU.

I am afraid to say I don't have any, I tried to get a personal cover as I use two power wheelchairs and two scooters. Each one would have to be insured separately at about 70. You don't have to have it on the slower scooters and chairs. Some home insurances will cover these but am not certain as to the cover.

You could look at these threads:-

http://forum.mndassociation.org/show...vement-scooter
    http://forum.mndassociation.org/show...bility-Scooter

It would be interesting to hear what others have done, Terry

Spring: The move to get my scooter is in the works. My OT is arranging a loan through MNDA. If you have money coming out of your ears by all means buy, but.....

Good point Treelover. I am moving soon to a bungalow in Bangor and our Housing Assoc enclosed info on 'Contents Insurance' with our welcoming pack. I'd be checking on whether the scooter is insured. Cheers.

I saw not too long ago a programme on scooter users. Insurance for accidents caused was highly recommended.

Forum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jock View Post
    Spring: The move to get my scooter is in the works. My OT is arranging a loan through MNDA. If you have money coming out of your ears by all means buy, but.....

Good point Treelover. I am moving soon to a bungalow in Bangor and our Housing Assoc enclosed info on 'Contents Insurance' with our welcoming pack. I'd be checking on whether the scooter is insured. Cheers.

I saw not too long ago a programme on scooter users. Insurance for accidents caused was highly recommended.
    Hi Jock,

Thanks, as our meeting last week wasn't very succesful with OT, your post this morning has spurred me on to ring OT again and he is coming out on Monday to go through everything. I feel a little more ready to ask for what Jim needs now thanks to Multi Dis Meeting last week and being here on the forum and getting input from all you guys and gals. I hope I don't have to fight for what Jim needs but if thats what it takes let battle commence.

Spring x

Forum Member
    I have a Rascal scooter don't use any I bought 2nd hand 500 selling for 250