Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Confused

Mnd does appear to be more prevalent in fitter people and as such there are some army people with it. I don't think that people claim that the army caused it. I asked questions about whether the stress, like that of battle might contribute to it but I was told no!

Hope it helps, Terry

Forum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Terry View Post
    Mnd does appear to be more prevalent in fitter people and as such there are some army people with it. I don't think that people claim that the army caused it. I asked questions about whether the stress, like that of battle might contribute to it but I was told no!

Hope it helps, Terry
    Terry, I had no idea what ALS was, but once they suspected I may have it and recommended a clinic, I went to an als clinic website and it mentioned that those who served in the military were twice as likely to have it. So, our system automatically includes it as being service connected. No one knows why those who served are getting it twice the rate of the general population. As I stated, for me, I have enough service related problems and already top out on what they give financially. But it does seem that those who were muscular are paying the price. It has to be more than that and I hope somebody figures it out.

Hello Ray,
    Sorry you find yourself here but if you need to be here - these folks are the best!! The site for ALS help in the U.S. is:
    http://www.alsa.org/

I am in Ohio and found the ALS Association to be VERY helpful. They have loads of information and they provide equipment on loan for as long as you need it. They are very helpful and at the website you will find a chapter in your area and you can call for more help/information. They also have support group meetings monthly or every 2 months.

It is true the waiting is the hardest. It sounds like you are in touch with the VA already so if you get a diagnosis - I hear they fast track you with a diagnosis of ALS.

If you have questions this is the place to ask. We might not have all the answers for you but we will point you in the right direction. I know it seems overwhelming and confusing.

Lynne
    Be Strong and Courageous!

Nice one Lynne

I must say this is the first time I've heard of military service being associated with causing MND/ALS.

Forum Member
    Hello,

I have also read there was some links that showed a high incidence of this disease to the Italian football team and that several from that squad have or had MND.
    I read that one with greater interest as my hubby played footie up until he was almost 40 for Saturday and Sunday clubs (no WAG status for me though). My hubby could head a ball for yards, (I am sure the force he hit the ball would have knocked me out if I tried). He also went in for all the nasty tackles, his knees are very scarred - fearless nut-job.
    He suffered concussion after a header went wrong as a youth and spent several days in hospital (he watched the 1966 world cup in the men's ward ).
    There is a 'database' thread on this forum, saying it would be good to have one to see if there are similarities of lifestyle, previous injuries/medical conditions. I do not know of any such concentration of information and can't find much in the way of research on that either. You'd think they would be collating stats somewhere. I am not sure the NHS actually do know how many people have MND in any stage of diagnosis let alone a study on significant medical triggers that could have contributed. My hubby had a car accident early 2013 and he started showing symptoms of this disease mid 2013. I have often wondered if the 2 events are related and the early concussion acted as a foundation.
    Ta
    Sylv

Forum Member
    I have had spine injuries which required surgeries. The cervical surgery did not help much. I also at around the age of 10 was hit by a car and got a skull fracture. I wonder if injuries to the neuro network of the body somehow goes whacky in its healing process?

Forum Member
    Well, our wonderfull capitalistic style healthcare system got me an appointment on December 8th. It took 3 weeks to get it.

Now I have to state that I spent too many hours reading post on this site, gaining lots of info I hope I will not need, but highly suspect I will. I guess what I really need to know right now, where do I find a happy place with this. My aggressive coronary disease put me in a dark place where I simply crawled into a corner and waited for death to take me. I was diagnosed with PTSD and successfully treated. I fear this will bring me back there. Whichever direction this diagnoses goes, I want to avoid going back to that dark place and simply find a way to live better than I did where I wasted 2 years of my life being miserable. Any clue on how best to accomplish that?

Ray:

Some of us are fortunate enough to see the brighter side of life naturally. If you find yourself not one of them then possibly some inspirational reading may help? To this end I've always told myself there is someone out there worse off - and there is. To spend what life we have left feeling sorry or bitter isn't very fruitful to us and those around us.

Of course here you are among friends who understand ill health. If you ever need to rant or ask something then we are here for you. This Forum however does not always make for cheerful reading. You'd be taken to some dark places with some case histories here. That the nature of our condition.

Keep posting and let's us know how the 8th Dec goes

Forum Member
    Terry, Treelover, myself and others were all fit people, there does seem to be a link. I have been issued with more prescriptions this year than I have had in my entire life.

Ditto that Trevorhb, can't quite get my head around the fact that just one year ago last Saturday I completed the Beachy Head marathon, all went downhill literally from thereonin, I truly believe that there is a strong link between tough exercise regimes and this awful disease, perhaps if they can find out the reason for that we may get closer to a cure