Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Peg procedure

Forum Member
    Hi Lolly
    Thanks to you and everyone for your posts. We have the assessment at Aintree Hospital on 6th March so I will keep all your points in mind for the relevant questions to ask. I was so sorry to read about your mum and how you feel, as if MND isnt bad enough. Thank you for enlightening me. Love to you all and I will let you know how we go on
    Lots of love
    Kate xxx

Quote Originally Posted by Kate View Post
    Hi Lolly
    Thanks to you and everyone for your posts. We have the assessment at Aintree Hospital on 6th March so I will keep all your points in mind for the relevant questions to ask. I was so sorry to read about your mum and how you feel, as if MND isnt bad enough. Thank you for enlightening me. Love to you all and I will let you know how we go on
    Lots of love
    Kate xxx
    Please please please make sure you ask for contrast dye first and then an X-ray before anything goes through the peg xxx

Forum Member
    mY husband John had his peg fitted in July 2010 and had no problems at al he has swallowing problems but was fine with the sedation and the endoscopy tube wasnt a problem.He said he cant remember anything about it and even asked the nurse when he was having it done.......He was already back in bed and it was over without him realising.He can still manage a very soft diet with the odd cough,choke and splutter but the extra nutrients he gets through the peg have made a big difference to his life xIrene x

Forum Member
    Ok Lolly I will ask thank you so much for that advice. Thank you Irene I am glad Johns proceedure went well and that he has benefitted. I am happy that I put this out to the forum as its only people who have had or are closely connected to someone who has had the proceedure that can comment 1st hand and there are obviously pitfalls to consider as with Lolly's Mum. I will let you know how the appointment goes.
    Thank you all again
    Kate x

Forum Member

Thumbs up Fit the PEG in good time

I was diagnosed with progressive bulbar palsy in feb 2014 and was advised to consider having a PEG fitted although I was coping with eating and drinking with difficulty, functions I soon lost but I took the advice and had my PEG fitted. Now getting nutrition is a piece of cake. I have stopped losing weight and looking forward to putting some on. My advice is have the minor op done early rather than when absolutely necessary

Glad to hear that it is working so well for you Funghie;

Like your piece of cake quote.

Best wishes Terry

Forum Member
    Thank you for posting, info just really blow my mind

Wow Jeannie ,
    Just read your detailed post,wish I'd seen it before procedure ,
    I can still eat and drink but use for extra hydration .when I was
    First diagnosed i was determined not have the op through fear
    I can honestly say I have had no difficulties in the 5 months and
    still have a choice to use it or not.

Roy.
    Good as it gets :-)

Good to hear from you Roy;

I am due to have the procedure early in June as I find drinking a bit hard when out. I eat well and most things but drinking was very hard when I was ill after Christmas. Nice that you have not had any problems from it, hoping it's the same for me and everyone else.

Regards Terry

Hi all like most of you chritine been using peg just over the year now been fine hydration good weight maintained although she would throw the fortisip or to quote her stick somewhere unmentionable. Today we took christine to the hospital where it was changed apparently they manufacturers will only guarantee the device for two years, didnt realise the only way to remove it was for nurse to pull it out short sharp pain but she did well bit of advice if anyone is having this done in the future dont do a feedbefore hand goes all over the place, which again pleased mrs. Everything fine now just a shorter tube. Regards gerald