Page 31 of 34 FirstFirst ... 212930313233 ... LastLast

Thread: The daily dribble

Also, I remember half penny sweets and my mum getting green shield stamps from the co-op.

The Co-Op gave dividend stamps, Kayleigh. It was Tesco who gave Green Shield Stamps. I remember my mother bought a fridge freezer from Tesco when they were offering triple stamps. We were there for what seemed like hours while the cashier ran off £450 worth of Green Shield Stamps. And, as for sticking them in the books...
    Dina

Trying to keep positive, but not always managing.

Good luck with your shoulder exercises Doug. I hope that you get relief soon. What did they say was the cause of your pain?

My left shoulder has a tear in it's rotary cuff so I can relate to you. I've had 2 injections per time twice so far in 2 places on my shoulder. The last lot didn't last long. But I got Tramadol recently for this and other pain issues. They don't get rid of the pains but reduce it sufficiently for me to get some sleep. 4 hours later during the night I take more pills but frequently wake an hour previously so have to wait. I'd be wrecked if I still couldn't dose during the day. But I doze for an hour most days now which keeps me going mostly.

Lynne
    ALS diagnosed November 2017, limb onset. For the 4 yrs previously I was losing my ballance.
    I'm staying positive and taking each day as it comes.

Good morning friends,

Kayleigh - I would not be allowed to comment on the goings on within this forum. We did have a captain Peacock who was known as a floor walker and responsible for looking for shoplifters and keeping watch on the staff. I had a mrs. Slocombe equivalent as my department supervisor and we had a mr. Humphreys equivalent who was the window dresser.

We didn’t have tills as the money was placed in a tube where it was air fed to the cash office and whilst waiting for the change you had time to talk to the customer. Tills were introduced at the time the UK went decimal and then we had the power cuts in 1972 and the tills would not work,plus we had to use Tilley lamps for lighting. Memories!

CC - I too enjoyed some of the American comedies you mentioned. I think possibly the British sense of humour may be lost on you.

Love,
    Barry
    Iím going to do this even if it kills me!

Hi Lynne

My problem sounds similar to yours, in that it's damage to a muscle (the infraspinatus) of the rotator cuff. But it's not so serious in that there is no tear. I've irritated or strained it in some way - probably because it's effectively my only free arm.

The physio said 4-6 weeks to clear up. Fingers crossed!

Doug x

We didn’t have tills as the money was placed in a tube where it was air fed to the cash office and whilst waiting for the change you had time to talk to the customer. Tills were introduced at the time the UK went decimal and then we had the power cuts in 1972 and the tills would not work,plus we had to use Tilley lamps for lighting. Memories!

Hi Barry,

I remember those tubes that the money went in. They were fascinating to a child. That system was in the drapers where my Auntie Betty worked. The shop also had a wooden chair by the counter for customers rest upon.
    Last edited by Gillette; 17th August 2019 at 17:28.
    Dina

Sounds good 4-6 wks to sort it out Doug. Good luck. I did the tear to my shoulder about 5 years ago in my teaching car. I struggled to lift a heavy bag from the back to my knee in the front passenger seat as I wanted teach resources out of it. I ought to have dropped it when I felt strain and got out to get it. Lynne
    ALS diagnosed November 2017, limb onset. For the 4 yrs previously I was losing my ballance.
    I'm staying positive and taking each day as it comes.

Hi Everyone,

Thank you Dina for explaining about the different stamps. I find it amusing and interesting that I thought they were Green Shield stamps that my mum collected - you must be correct though, about them being Dividend Stamps, because it was definitely a Co-Op we used to shop in rather than Tesco's. Do you happen to remember what colour the stamps from the Co-Op were? - I think they were green??? ... but oops, I'm wrong again! - I have just Googled them and seen that they were blue! LOL

Sorry to hear you've got a painful shoulder Doug. Hopefully the physiotherapist is pampering you with lots of therapeutic massages and the exercises she gave you will be effective very soon. It must be very tiring not being able to sleep much - hopefully last night you managed to get some sleep after the wine tasting. I hope you are able to rest and take things easy and I hope your shoulder gets much better very soon. xx

Like you Barry and CC, I remember watching 1970s American comedies - Happy Days was my favourite and I also enjoyed watching the spin-off show 'Joanie Loves Chachi' and 'Mork and Mindy'. I don't think any of those comedies are on TV here any more but I often enjoy watching episodes of other American Comedies, including 'Cheers' and 'Frasier'.

CC might not be familiar with the comedies 'Only Fools and Horses' and 'Open All Hours' - but any comedy featuring David Jason is always a chuckle raiser for me! Every 'Only Fools and Horses' fan probably has their own favourite clip and there are certainly lots to choose from!

For anyone who has a favourite Only Fools and Horses moment, hopefully it is included in the following list of top 10 video clips (One of my favourites is the famous 'Batman and Robin' clip, listed as number 3):-
    http://https://blog.fromtheboxoffice.com/2018/10/19/top-10-classic-only-fools-horses-moments/

I hope everyone has a lovely weekend. I'm sitting in the garden enjoying the sunshine - and supervising my husband pegging the washing out! LOL

Love and hugs to you all,
    Kayleigh x
    Last edited by Kayleigh; 17th August 2019 at 17:21.

Hi Barry,

I Googled the Tilley lamps you mentioned because I hadn't heard of them before.
    I understand they date back to the 1800s and were used by British forces in the First World War. I expect many people might still use them because they are still manufactured by the Tilley Company and there is even a video on u-tube about how to light one.

It must have taken some time to light enough Tilley Lamps for the whole of the Department Store where you worked in the 1970s - but probably not the responsibility of just one person? It must have been very atmospheric in the Store when they were all lit during the powercuts!

No Sunday opening in those days, of couse, and I remember many local shops closed every Wednesday afternoon. We are spoilt for choice these days with all the long opening hours and Internet shopping!

Love and best wishes to you and your wife,
    Kayleigh x
    Last edited by Kayleigh; 17th August 2019 at 17:14.

Like you Barry and CC, I remember watching 1970s American comedies - Happy Days was my favourite and I also enjoyed watching the spin-off show 'Joanie Loves Chachi' and 'Mork and Mindy'. I don't think any of those comedies are on TV here any more but I often enjoy watching episodes of other American Comedies, including 'Cheers' and 'Frasier'.

My favourites were 'Mork and Mindy' and 'Cheers'. I used to watch 'Cheers' every Friday night except one - and of course it was THE one of Diane's wedding! Someone rang me just as it was starting (heaven only knows why she thought it was ok to ring that late) and ranted on for the whole of the episode. I was too polite to put the phone down on her.
    Dina

Forum Member
    LOL You are right Barry some British humor is quite lost on me but I did enjoy Kayleigh's Mrs Slocombe and her fifty shades of hair colors ???? lol along with her pussycat jokes

Cheers was an all time favorite of mine Dina. I loved the Sam and Diane relationship, all just so hilarious. When the series ended and had its final show it was a very big deal over here for fans. I remember crying when the customer was coming down the steps, and Sam said they were closed, it really signified the end of the show, it did have a long and great run though with so many laughs!

You are right as well Kayleigh not familiar with the names of those shows either.

CC xox