Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Safety Stem Cell Trial in ALS Set to Advance

Safety Stem Cell Trial in ALS Set to Advance

Hi all,

An update from Neuralstem's Phase I stem cell trial:

Maryland biotherapeutics company Neuralstem has announced favorable results from the first part of a phase 1 trial to test the safety of its experimental spinal-cord stem cell treatment in ALS.
    http://alsn.mda.org/news/safety-stem...ls-set-advance

Forum Member
    Hi Matt
    I went to see my consultant last week and I was asking him on how trials were going and he seemed to hint that stem cell treatment will be more common in 2-3 years although he wouldn`t commit until more trials had been done and results had come back but looking at the news about parkinsons sufferers being treated with stem cell trials is all looking more favourable for them as well as people with MND.

I also asked him about the man who was paraylised and had a device fitted in his spine. (see link)(www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-13444036) This he also said that although in early stages it may one day be able to help people with MND, which from my point of view may help me as I have PLS but it would be great if these trials were speeded up for people with all other kinds of MND to help great people who don`t deserve this disease

Forum Member
    Hi Matt

Sound good, I have an interest in stem cells and MND I think it will have a place in treatment one day, soon I hope....

Although I do not jump on much these days I still read all the posts and I can see just how much you are doing to keep us all informed on the Forum, I really appreciate your posts Matt, thanks.

Regards

Sonia

Forum Member
    Hi Matt, Toppers,

Thanks for the items.

Stem cell treatment is the only route for long term MND sufferers.

This line of research has come a long way in a short space of time.

I'm watching out for advances in the USA too.

Best wishes

Graham

I think it's right not to jump on this trial too much. From what I have read on the ALS TDI Forum it seems the Neuralstem trial is probably more to do with gathering data about how stem cells migrate, rather than expecting to see any improvement in function. I think the miracle cure from stem cells is sadly a long way off. It has indeed come a long way in the last few years but, personally for me, will probably be more than 2-3 years before we see its true potential.

It sounds like in the short term the benefit of stem cells will be for testing potential compounds to slow progression and trying to understand some of the early changes in cells before symptoms become obvious.

Check out the following article about the latest stem cell news. It's an interesting read and has some positive news about progress in creating a number of nerve cells which may prove useful in the future.

http://quest.mda.org/news/research-briefs-stem-cells

However, I will certainly be keeping a watchful eye on the BrainStorm stem cell trial. They use some very strong language in their recent press releases and I am keeping my fingers and toes crossed that it leads to significant positive news in the treatment for the disease.

http://forum.mndassociation.org/show...-trial-for-ALS
    Last edited by MattJ; 21st June 2011 at 23:06.

Forum Member
    Hi Matt,

The important step forward is the "dogs can see the rabbit" in the petri dish. The secrets of MND may unravel relatively quickly from here.

Best wishes

Graham

Hi Graham,

Lets hope so. You sort of feel that they should have enough now with Dr Martin Turner's potential biomarker, the nerve cells grown, fruit fly and yeast models to face track drugs and to start solving some of the MND mysteries.

If there are 10 steps to getting MND maybe rolling back just one of those will be enough to keep a nerve healthy. Yes it maybe still under stress from the previous 9 but enough of a step back to turn the condition into a chronic one. It seemed to work for the recent FUS and TDP-43 fruit flies! We just need someone to have that eureka moment!

Talking about stem cells...this just popped up on the radar:

An international team of scientists led by researchers at the University of California, San Diego School of Medicine have used induced pluripotent stem cells (iPSCs) derived from patients with amyotrophic lateral sclerosis (ALS) to reveal for the first time how reduced levels of a specific protein may play a central role in causing at least one inherited form of the disease.
    http://www.eurekalert.org/pub_releas...-scm062111.php

What I'd love to know is whether all these recent findings with stem cells, models etc are actually leading to anything useful. If MND was a 1000 piece jigsaw how much of it is now complete? Surely all these discoveries must be narrowing it down.
    Last edited by MattJ; 22nd June 2011 at 16:01.

Forum Member
    Hi Matt,

Yes, another step forward. I'm starting to be less jealous of fruit flies!

Best wishes

Graham

Forum Member
    Hi Matt, having just been diagnosed last week with ALS I am still in a black hole! Iam heartened by the stem cell trials. USA seems the place to go though or is there anybody in UK doing it? I cannot seem to find any. Hope you are well as can be.