Thread: Help with getting wheelchair into car

Forum Member

Help with getting wheelchair into car

Hi All,
    I have recently started using a transit wheelchair as walking has become more difficult and falling more frequent.
    At the moment with assistance I can get out of the house and into the car but my wife is having difficulty lifting the NHS wheelchair into the boot. I have started looking at lightweight chairs, boot hoists and roof box/hoists.
    Any help finding a working solution gratefully received

Regards
    Pedr0

Hi Pedro;

Depends on how your legs are and the speed of there demise. Perhaps look for a WAV type van, as you can have it for a while and we accommodate you in your wheelchair and even a power chair.
    You could get a lightweight one but might be worse getting in and out of it. If the side of the wheelchair comes off or lowers it might be possible for you to be slid across onto the seat.

Regards Terry

Forum Member
    Hi Terry,

Thanks for replying, my legs are slowly deteriorating so I am hoping that we can use an unmodified car for somewhile yet.
    At the moment it's my wife I am concerned about lifting the wheelchair in and out of the boot of our car.

Regards
    Pedr0 (Peter)

Forum Member
    We have the same trouble, my wife finds our NHS wheelchair too heavy to lift easily in and out of the car. There are lightweight models you can buy, but how strong or comfortable they are I do not know. Would suggest you go to a local mobility shop and see what's available.

Forum Member
    Hi Trevor,
    Yes sounds like a good idea to try the local mobility shop, I've only been looking at them on the internet so far

Forum Member
    Our wheelchair adviser told us if we want to buy our own, we can return their chair and they will give us a voucher for its value which we can put towards buying another. Could be worth seeing if the same applies to you.

Forum Member
    Cheers, they never said anything about that when I was assessed for the chair, I will certainly get in touch with them and find out more.

Forum Member
    You are very welcome, this is what this forum is all about.

Forum Member
    When they assessed me for a wheelchair they measured me up and sent me one with a 19" x 19" seat witch wont go through the doorways as you catch your hands on both frames, Its huge my wife struggled to put it in the boot once ? Now they are measuring me for an electric chair they have made the seat width 17" perhaps that brand of wheelchair is very similar to cheapo trousers (if your legs are long you must be lardie!) I haven't noticed any unhealthy or large people with mnd? most of the people have been the picture of health? I myself even had a natural tan? people were always asking if id been on holiday but my skin colour would come and go for a day at a time?
    Colin.

I have just had wheelchair from local authority and it is a little heavy. I think I will go to a local mobility centre and try one those folding powered chairs that are good for going on holidays. I can still walk with a frame on a flat surface but feel I will need to be in a chair on uneven ground. I did fall on 20th Dec and damaged my neck a hangmans fracture to the C2 Vertebrea �� done it before playing rugby in my youth. I will also look to get a vehicle for a chair. I think Peugeot do a good one has anyone got one to recommend.