Thread: communication help needed please

Forum Member

communication help needed please

Hiya I am new to the forum and looking for advice please. My dad now has virtually no mobility left in his hands so we are looking for other means of communication than the Predictive app he has been using. Ideally something he can control using his eyes on his iPad Air........is such a thing available? kind regards, Sharon

Hi Sharon;

Sorry to hear about your dad but welcome on the forum. There Eyegaze systems but maybe only for a laptop. Maybe try his speech therapist for help, but they are not always good at that. If he needs glasses then that can make it a little harder.

The systems area expensive so it's worth asking ST and Mnda connect about it.

There are new programs and possible cheep (but good) ones coming along.

These threads might help:-

http://forum.mndassociation.org/show...hlight=eyegaze

http://forum.mndassociation.org/show...hlight=eyegaze

Good luck, Terry

Forum Member
    Gd morning Shaz, you raise something that is close to my heart. Like your dad I am in the Mnd club with weakening arms and hands. The new Voice campaign is focused on people like your dad even though his voice may be perfect. The campaign recognize that someone with no use of his hands cannot use a mobile, phone, tablet or keyboard so no social media, Internet browsing etc etc. The new Assistive Technology hubs have now the funding and the expertise to assess your father. This new system is having teething problems in Yorkshire but, as your not in God's own county, things may be better in Lancashire. Your SLT has to refer you so try her or ask MND association for your nearest hub. If you have the means to pay then ask for a free assessment from Smartbox, Toby Churchill or Techness. They will assess your dad, recommend a product then give advice on possible sources of funding. Switch access to a tablet may be the correct route and is loads cheaper than Eyegaze. Keep supporting your dad. Ian

Forum Member
    Thank you both so much for advice will look into it further when I get in from work xxxxxx