Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Shall we buy a tablet?

Forum Member

Shall we buy a tablet?

Sorry to do a lazy, quick post when there is probably an answer on the forum somewhere! My Mum has bulbar onset and is losing her voice very quickly. She has recorded her voice on model talker. We are waiting for an appointment with the SLT for a discussion about types of communication aids available on the NHS. Some of the family are very keen to buy an IPad in order to put the model talker voice on. Before we go ahead with this (expensive!) purchase can anyone advise whether anything offered by the NHS does the same job for both speech as well as for use as a general PC please?
    Many thanks ...Rachel

It's a bit of a post code lottery, I have heard of them providing an I Pad but that is probably very rear. If you have a cheep tablet there are apps that will do a similar job to try now.

Good luck, Terry

If you can afford get the iPad
    David

Forum Member
    Your local branch of the MND association might offer a mini iPad on permanent loan. Check with MND Connect.

Forum Member
    Agree with David, buy an iPad and the a predictable app.

Forum Member
    I totally agree. Buy the IPAD ask your speech therapist to order up the application from Predictable by Therapy. We had a lovely man here to demonstrate it to us both. It is my lifeline. I absolutely adore it. x Joycie

Forum Member
    Sorry to disagree with the other advice but an ipad is very limited in function as your mother deteriorates. As from a Jan 1st 2015 the new AT (Assistive Technology ) hubs have been set up which your SLT should refer you to. Windows based tablets ie not an ipad can operate the TV, answer your mobile and land line, turn light on /off as well as all the Internet stuff and TTS. Modeltalker can be downloaded again & again so a quick fix for mum is a loaned ipad (try local branch of MNDa) then get your mum a proper anticipatory assessment from the new hubs. They have the budget now to provide your mum with a tablet that will do far more than an ipad. Given that NHS specialsed commissioners have accepted the need to fast track PLWMND go for it. After all your mum's worth it. PM me if you want more info. Ian

Forum Member
    thanks, Ian. That is really useful information. I always wondered how I would cope if my hands go. Love Joycie.

I agree with Ian, Apple kit is so limited. There is other kit that is much more flexible.

Forum Member
    Re your hands Joycie I have the same concern. I have had to do battle to get the info about AT assessments for N Yorkshire but I got offered an assessment last Friday. Keep smiling ! Ian x