For those that don't know me my father was diagnosed with bulbar onset MND on 2 May 2013 and passed away on the 19 February 2014 just 9 and a half months later.

At the time we were told that it wasn't familial as we had no knowledge of anyone else in the family having MND. That never sat well with me, I always wondered "someone has to be first, surely?"

As a result I never read up much on familial MND and therefore don't know a great deal.

For the last three weeks I've been in New Zealand and took the opportunity to visit my Dad's brother who lives there. I was shocked to find when I arrived that his son, who is 45, is currently undergoing tests for MND. He has dropfoot, fasiculations and arm weakness as his first symptoms. At this stage of course MND has not been confirmed.

If it is confirmed (and I really hope they let me know!) it raises the question of whether it is in fact familial? I'm not sure what my next steps should be....I don't know if I want to be genetically tested or not, how easy it to get tested if he is confirmed to have MND. Could it be that as his onset is so very different to Dad's that it's not familial just a piece of extremely bad family luck??

Can't say I'm expecting 'answers' more a case of trying to get the thoughts in my head out!