Thread: Newly diagnosed

Forum Member

Newly diagnosed

I am a 70 year old married lady and have just been diagnosed with MND at the Royal Hallamshire Hospital at Sheffield following 2 and a half years of investigations. Although the diagnosis was expected, I still feel a little "raw" at the news and have found the hardest part has been telling my family and friends, and seeing their distress. Everyone is being very supportive however and I feel sure they will be with me during my journey no matter how it progresses. It is heartening to find that there is support on this forum and I'm sure I'll be popping in from time to time with questions as they arise.

Welcome Pauline. Sorry to hear of your diagnosis but you will get answers to many of your questions by my knowledgeable forum friends.
    You are in great hands under the care of Hallamshire as I have found myself, plus a few others in this group. Depending where you live you may find it beneficial to join one of the regional MNDA groups who normally hold monthly meetings. I certainly get a lot of pleasure from these gatherings plus many useful tips.
    Best wishes
    Barry

Welcome Pauline;

Sorry that you find yourself here especially as it has taken so long to diagnose. Not surprised that you feel very raw, it is very hard to get your head around it even if you have some idea.

Best wishes, Terry

Forum Member
    Hi Pauline and welcome to the forum, but sorry you have to be here. You will find lots of help and support here.

springtime
    Evil triumphs when good men stand by and do nothing.

Forum Member
    Welcome Pauline, we look forward to your contributions and hope we can answer any questions you have.

Welcome Pauline, you will find great advice and support here!

Forum Member
    Welcome Pauline, you can expect plenty of good advice & support here on the forum.
    I was diagnosed January 2013 at the Royal Halamshire Hospital & you couldn't wish to be looked after by a better team, they are very good & professional team.
    Regards, Mick.

Forum Member
    Many thanks to all for the friendly welcome, very much appreciated. Wise owl, yes I totally agree with you about the Hallamshire staff - they all seem very caring and supportive. My neurologist is applying for funding of the drug Riluzole for me, not sure if there will be much benefit to me or not, but you have to try!

Forum Member
    Hello, Pauline. I was Diagnosed a year ago at Sheffield and you could not wish for a better team. They are a centre of excellence and, if you have mnd, you are very fortunate to be in their catchment area. I tried riluzole but couldn't get on with it but you may been all right Just keep posting. We are all in the same boat, in varying degrees of progression. We are here for you. Love. Joycie xx