Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Cheap as chips Cremation.

Cheap as chips Cremation.

I'm trying to tie down the cost of my death. I want a no frills cheap as chips Cremation. Any advice/recommendations are much appreciated.

PS: No Forum place for 'Dying with MND' only 'Life with MND'

Sharyn wanted a no fuss event!
    Went to local funeral director paid for a cremation( 3000.00)
    Collected her ashes, family gathered together for spreading of ashes and then went to a cafe!
    In a couple of months time we will be having a gathering of friends for a memorial do.
    She was a very private lady who did not like the fuss so she just wanted myself and the children there,
    I did as she wanted!

Funerals

Quote Originally Posted by Jock View Post
    I'm trying to tie down the cost of my death. I want a no frills cheap as chips Cremation. Any advice/recommendations are much appreciated.

PS: No Forum place for 'Dying with MND' only 'Life with MND'
    Ask for "A minimum priced funeral". Unfortunately there are other costs that are set and mandatory.
    I List herewith:
    Doctors fees for signing medical certificate 100 approx.
    Cremation fee. Varies in cost
    Scattering ashes. Free if you don't have a casket and your relatives do it.
    Ministers fee (You don't have to have one)
    Other cost cutting methods:-
    Have all service at Crematorium. The earlier the better since there is usually a discount before 09.30
    Don't have flowers and don't have embalming. Meet at crematorium so don't have cars. Get the family to do the coffin bearing. If you have a suitable car there is nothing to stop you having the family take the coffin to crematorium.
    If you don't want any kind of service there is nothing to stop you with the agreement of the crematorium, taking the coffin "Round the back" and direct to the furnace room. No need to book a time then.
    Get the family to deal with all the paperwork and pay statutory fees direct themselves. (all in advance)

Jock,

If you want a no cost funeral my Mum managed to organise one for herself and it is something that appeals to me although I have not started the arrangement process.
    She died in May 2002 so some time ago. She was a retired nurse and wanted her body to be used to advance medical knowledge. She spoke to her doctor about donating her body to medical research. He said she should contact a teaching hospital and she contacted the nearest for her(she lived in York) was Leeds. They agreed to accept her body on her death and sent a letter of confirmation which she told the family about and placed amongst her papers at home. On her death we contacted the hospital but unfortunately the person responsible for arranging body collection was on holiday and they had to say no. They said that there was a great need in the profession for bodies and they were sorry they could not help. They suggested I contact Sheffield which I did and within hours of Mum dying they had collected her body. We received a letter of thanks and said the body would be used as a teaching tool and after that buried or cremated in accordance with the families wishes. We arranged a memorial service in the same way as a funeral service would have been. This went ahead without a coffin. 18 months later the immediate family attended a cremation of Mum's remains(conducted by Cannon Ball - I kid you not).
    I am not sure that such arrangements can still be made. Our only costs were to the church ,which were not significant and the funeral tea afterwards.
    This may be a low cost option for you.

John

Forum Member
    I have a pre paid funeral plan and paid well under 4k. It includes church service, cremation, 2 cars, notice in 2 papers and all fees. Dave, yours sounds expensive for what you got.

Trevor I agree with you but I just wanted it sorted.
    One thing I knew would happen, but had not planned for.

Paying 3-4K would leave t' wife skint so that's a non-runner in our case.

Alpacas: thank you for your pointers towards the fixed costs. John: I'm with your Mother, but t' wife finds turning the body over a wee too much. If there was an 18 month wait for the ashes it would add to her objections. Previously I looked into body donation, but Keele Uni was listed as the nearest place. What also raised an eyebrow was if the body was rejected there was a cost to the relatives.

Based on some price research this morning it appears as if dying at home incurs a pick up fee around 350 that does not apply if your corpse is at the morgue.

Forum Member
    I don't have any experience of them but I noticed internet companies offer low cost cremations if you don't mind the drawbacks. There's no service for relatives and the cremation takes place at a time and venue to suit the company and crematorium. They advertise as under a thousand pounds but you'd need to know if there were extra such as the doctor's fee, removal of pacemakers, artificial hips, etc.

Hijack;

Much the same as my way of thinking but mine is not out of a real need. Could you get a coffin knocked up by someone else that meets the cerms requirements or save more money, change your religion and have a funeral pyre.

Please don't take any offence at these, LOL,

love Terry

Hi again Jock,

If you google economical funerals various sites come up. Here is one with 698 starting price

http://www.mayerfuneralhome.co.uk/lo...uneral-option/

John