Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Phlegm!

Forum Member

Phlegm!

Hi all. My mum, recently diagnosed with bulbar onset MND, is finding phlegm more of a problem now. The speech therapist recommended drinking acidic drinks like orange juice or Coke to cut through it as it coats her throat. However, as this is not always possible, we wondered if anyone had any good tips or drug recommendations that could help? Thanks in advance, Kerenza 😊

Forum Member
    Search Fishmate12 posts. He has a whole host of suggestions to slow progression and resolve issues such as phlegm.

Quote Originally Posted by Renza8 View Post
    Hi all. My mum, recently diagnosed with bulbar onset MND, is finding phlegm more of a problem now. The speech therapist recommended drinking acidic drinks like orange juice or Coke to cut through it as it coats her throat. However, as this is not always possible, we wondered if anyone had any good tips or drug recommendations that could help? Thanks in advance, Kerenza ��
    Hello Kerenza,
    I think the coke idea is brilliant I drink loads of it, make sure it's caffeine free and sugar free, Mucadyne has to be the most popular by miles,if she has a nebuliser a session morning and evening eases it , a steam inhaler also works, it's a matter of finding the right ones for your Mum.
    All I need is a miracle

Why sugar free, surely all calories are good?

I drink lots of Coke, great for cutting through thick secretions.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve View Post
    Why sugar free, surely all calories are good?

I drink lots of Coke, great for cutting through thick secretions.
    Hi Steve,

You are so right, But in my case ,I was resembling a barn Owl ,and couldn't sleep much, so the Dietician suggested i try the no caffeine and low sugar variety, ,not only that went to see the urologist ,for waterworks tests and he agreed drinking as much coke as i do, i should try the reduced one, its all linked to being in our chariots !!!.

pete
    All I need is a miracle

I see your point! I am lucky if I can do a can a day nowadays.

Forum Member
    Hi

My hubby says pineapple juice cuts through a build up of phlegm and loosens it. Our Speech lady and Macmillan also recommended grape juice and Apple juice. Make sure they are natural juice and not concentrate as they take something out of that in the processing.

Sylv

Be careful with pineapple juice as it doesn't mix with some medications

Lynne
    Be Strong and Courageous!

I have had a mildly developing Phlegm issue these past few weeks. I saw this thread yesterday and asked the wife for one of her wee diet cokes. Almost immediately the issue was resolved. Grape and apple juice appeal more so I give them a go next time. Thank you everyone.

Hijack;

It sounds as if your misses bought the wrong type of coke. It's so nice to hear of an instant benefit, just wish that a few more things were so simple to rectify.

Love Terry
    TB once said that "The forum is still the best source for friendship and information."

It will only remain so if new people post and keep us updated on things that work or don't work and tips.

Please post on old threads that are of use so that others see them and feel free to start new subjects and threads.