Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: can i pad be a phone

can i pad be a phone

hello all
    the talking bit has packed in so i comunicate with ipad. My mobile phone is now useless , i was never in to texting took me all my time to put a name in phone book . So i got to looking at the ipad . can i turn it into a phone with a sim or a dongell . i message some people and they get it on their phone . plane and simple i have not a clue .Any help much apreciated

Steve
    you can use an ap called mightytext to text and call if linked to a phone, I think its android only. I am not a big apple fan.

I use that and whatsappweb to keep in touch with people.

Hi Steve
    How do i link pad to phone? what is android ? sorry mate i just dont know

I would recommend that you ask your MND nurse or likewise to put you in touch with Assistive technology, they can help you set up the iPad to send messages. Look also into an application called messenger, I have it on my iPad and my iPhone you can text then from the iPad and most people have messenger on their phones

Hi Kevin;

An Android is a sort of operating system that most cheaper tablets (things like I pad but not) run on. I pads have their own system that is different.

Jan's advice would look to be good. I know very little about I Pad's sorry.

Love Terry
    TB once said that "The forum is still the best source for friendship and information."

It will only remain so if new people post and keep us updated on things that work or don't work and tips.

Please post on old threads that are of use so that others see them and feel free to start new subjects and threads.

marieline
    Hello, if this is at all useful, i recently purchased an android tablet, which has now become my phone. all you do is place your Sim card in the i pad or tablet. But must be 3 or 4 G. Will not work if wifi only cheers marieline

Bilando
    Just to confuse you further! A device called an OSPREY sold by PC World works on EE. It gives you 4G onto your ipad or upto 10 different devices eg ipad, laptop, kids tablets etc etc. Unfortunately it is either a monthly contract or can be pay as you go. I bought it for hospital where it was fantastic to keep in touch.
    I agree completely with Jan. A referral to your local AAC / AT hub will give you far more technology than just use of an ipad to text. The MND has fought for the new AAC service for all of us plwMND, it's FOC and it can open up your voiceless world. Contact your SLT for a referral. They have the budget now so use it. But remember "shy bairns get no sweeties". Ian

thanks all for your amazing advice . email has been sent to S.L.T. and nurse dont know anything yet because they have not got back to me. be asured i will report everything back hear this is somthing we are all going to need.

hello all
    Technology advice is no good if you dont understand it. I felt like Joey Essex dose phones. the best advice was see SLT she said outside her remit. So had to learn a bit. everything you wrote on hear was spot on . First I went down android pad route too complicated . Rule 1 keep it simple . my solution is a second hand iphone 4s or above linked to pad this works . Thanks everybody i got there.

Good to hear that you have something that works Kevin;

SLT's are normally quite poor with the Technical stuff but we need to involve them. Some phones have a loud clear voice and are every bit as good as Tablets. However the keyboards are quite small and can be extra hard to use. Keep on top of it Kevin and try different things. It's always nice to have two different talking things.

Regards Terry
    TB once said that "The forum is still the best source for friendship and information."

It will only remain so if new people post and keep us updated on things that work or don't work and tips.

Please post on old threads that are of use so that others see them and feel free to start new subjects and threads.