Thread: Please read and digest the information if over 50

Forum Member

Please read and digest the information if over 50

I hope nobody minds me putting this post under the Life with MND thread.
    Having lost my dear husband last week to MND, I have never stopped sorting financial matters out, a thing we all have to face so quickly after losing our loved ones.
    I was given some excellent advice on here by Mr Terry, which was to take out life cover for my hubby. At first I ignored this advice, but common sense made me realise that I would need money for a funeral whether that was soon or in a few years time.
    So, I took out an over 50s life plan, which paid out a lump sum if my husband died after 12 months, no medical needed. But if he died before the initial 12 months I would just get back what we had paid in. I really thought my husband would be around for a while. He passed away, having paid 6 months premiums, and therefore I will get money paid in. Never the less worth taking out.
    Please, please consider this, if you are struggling for funeral costs or worried about your loved ones having to deal with the finances. Funerals are costly and every little helps.
    I hope nobody is offended by this post.

Spring
    Evil triumphs when good men stand by and do nothing.

I was wondering what the position was with Jim going so soon Zep;

Pleased that you got your money back, love Terry
    TB once said that "The forum is still the best source for friendship and information."

It will only remain so if new people post and keep us updated on things that work or don't work and tips.

Please post on old threads that are of use so that others see them and feel free to start new subjects and threads.

Forum Member
    Yes, Spring, that was good advice by Terry. These over 50s plans are good in that they take some of the anxiety away and more and more people are paying into funeral bonds, either with cash or by direct debit. The last thing you want to worry about when someone precious has died is how you are going to fund a funeral because it just isn't cheap these days. Hope you are coping OK. Much love Joycie xx

Forum Member
    Spring

Firstly so sorry for your loss.

You may find the following link useful if you are under State Pension age and Jim was too. Look closely at Bereavement Payment and Bereavement Allowance. Hope this helpful.

https://www.gov.uk/browse/benefits/bereavement

Arthur

Very useful information, thanks
    David

Forum Member
    Thank you Artmart. Have applied but still waiting to hear back.

I signed up for Over 50 last month Spring. I wouldn't like to give odds on me making next April, but who knows? I can't help feeling I should have acted sooner.

Forum Member
    Better late than never Jock

Sound advice Spring. That is the first thing one think of when diagnosed with a terminal illness. Take care Marieline