X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Jay_MND
    • Apr 2024

Disabled Facilities Grant

We are delighted to announce our redeveloped information sheet about Disabled Facilities Grants:

Information sheet 22C: Disabled Facilities Grants

This information sheet explains what Disabled Facilities Grants are, what they can be used for and how adaptations can support people living with MND to make their home suitable for their needs. It also explores other options for those who might not be able to get a grant.

How do I order information sheets?

You can download information sheets from our website. Click on our information sheets at: www.mndassociation.org/publications

This will provide you with the latest version of each sheet at all times. External change means amendments can be frequent, so we recommend you download when you need this content rather than keeping stock or individual PDFs on your computer.

If you have any old stock, please do not use this as the information will be out of date.

When you do need hardcopies of information sheets, contact our Care Admin team. Please provide recipient details if possible.

Telephone: 01604 611812 or 611685
    Email: [email protected]

If people living with or affected by MND wish to order direct, they can contact the MND Connect helpline. The team provide support and directions to further assistance, their number is 08457 626262.

We will advise care centres about this revision. An update will also be posted in The News, Thumb Print and social media. Thank you.

Has anybody had any adaptations to their home with a disability facilities grant?

Comment

• Sportingmac
      Forum Member
      • Nov 2014

Nope - didn't qualify.

Comment

I have social services coming to see me on Thursday to assess for adaptations to my home. Will I know straight away if I qualify?

Comment

• lorret
          Forum Member
          • Apr 2015

Hi , not sure if you will find out straight away. We had them come about through the floor lift, they did let us know a week later, we were eligible for it but decided to use the grant amount for the extension instead. Lorret
          Thousands of candles can be lit from a single candle,
          and the life of the candle will not be shortened.
          Happiness never decreases by being shared. Buddha

Comment

Thanks loretto. I am hoping to qualify for a downstairs wet room and access to the garden as I love sitting outside but it's getting hard now as there are steps down to it x

Comment

Well... The lady from social services came and assessed what I need to help me stay in my home and make it more beneficial to my needs. I have to wait for a financial assessment first to see what funding I can have. Crossing my fingers. Won't build my hopes up too much though. If it's anything like my critical illness policy (which was turned down, now in hands on ombudsman) they will probably say... 'computer says no!!' she's recommending access to front and back of the house and a wet room downstairs. Here's hoping!!

Comment

• miranda
                Forum Member
                • Jan 2011

Make sure you get advice on which adaptations are VAT exempt. It's a bit complicated.

Comment

Thanks miranda. It all sounds complicated to me!!

Comment

• Christoff
                    Forum Member
                    • Jun 2015

I had a DFG assessment and it turns out I can contribute £175,000.00 to me adaptations. In short if you earn more than £10000 per annum you wont qualify!!!

Comment

Well, after alot of meetings, form filling and, assessments, looks like I won't be getting a grant. Very disappointed as the occupational health lady from social services was so supportive in trying to get my adaptations approved and funded. I am however able to have £5000 which will cover the washer dryer toilet I want installed. Also, hopefully having a stair lift which is being covered by the mnda up to £3000. A friend of mine has very kindly arranged a race night to raise funds towards the adaptions. It will be a start, and its so nice knowing people are supporting me. You find out who your friends are when you are knocked down don't you?

Comment

• John14
                        Forum Member
                        • Apr 2015

That is disappointing, my application was dismissed in one phone call, you work all your life and build up some savings and a pension and then when you really need help diddly squat!

Hey Ho,

John

Comment

• ccinjersey

The Ice Bucket Challenge raised millions upon millions in my country, and yours, where is it ???

Besides 'research' in should be going directly into the hands of those living and managing this illness on a daily basis for some basic needs this illness requires.

There are some other resources that can be tapped into besides mnda, there is the 'ALS Guardian Angels' assisting those living with mnd and 'ALS Worldwide' could always be worth a try.

So true Pink, true friends help pick you up when knocked down. Good luck I hope your fundraiser a huge success! xox

Comment

It's a tough one. I understand and don't expect handouts for everything. The thing is, to be dealt a life changing illness we deserve to have quality of life. This disease has snatched enough from us, can't we just have help to make life easier? I feel as if I have to fight for everything and justify why I truly need it! I expect I am not alone in this?

Comment

• Sportingmac
                              Forum Member
                              • Nov 2014

Certainly are not alone in your thinking. Much is made of the help you 'may' be eligible for - but in reality most of us don't qualify. I do get rather angry at some of the financial 'rewards' that are made - but hey - that is me being selfish.

Comment

Working...
                              X