Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Disabled Facilities Grant

Well, after alot of meetings, form filling and, assessments, looks like I won't be getting a grant. Very disappointed as the occupational health lady from social services was so supportive in trying to get my adaptations approved and funded. I am however able to have 5000 which will cover the washer dryer toilet I want installed. Also, hopefully having a stair lift which is being covered by the mnda up to 3000. A friend of mine has very kindly arranged a race night to raise funds towards the adaptions. It will be a start, and its so nice knowing people are supporting me. You find out who your friends are when you are knocked down don't you?

Forum Member
    That is disappointing, my application was dismissed in one phone call, you work all your life and build up some savings and a pension and then when you really need help diddly squat!

Hey Ho,

John

Forum Member
    The Ice Bucket Challenge raised millions upon millions in my country, and yours, where is it ???

Besides 'research' in should be going directly into the hands of those living and managing this illness on a daily basis for some basic needs this illness requires.

There are some other resources that can be tapped into besides mnda, there is the 'ALS Guardian Angels' assisting those living with mnd and 'ALS Worldwide' could always be worth a try.

So true Pink, true friends help pick you up when knocked down. Good luck I hope your fundraiser a huge success! xox

It's a tough one. I understand and don't expect handouts for everything. The thing is, to be dealt a life changing illness we deserve to have quality of life. This disease has snatched enough from us, can't we just have help to make life easier? I feel as if I have to fight for everything and justify why I truly need it! I expect I am not alone in this?

Forum Member
    Certainly are not alone in your thinking. Much is made of the help you 'may' be eligible for - but in reality most of us don't qualify. I do get rather angry at some of the financial 'rewards' that are made - but hey - that is me being selfish.

Forum Member
    Agree Pink, and no one should have to go thru their life savings when struck with an illness that needs so many modifications to have better quality of living when there are organizations out there that's sole purpose is to assist, and support those living with mnd

These organization should not be stingy, especially when people gave so generously with their hearts and pockets to help those living with this illness in monetary donations.

If this illness is considered rare divide up all those living with it and then calculate the charitable donations that the IBC alone raised, and that includes setting aside money for research. There should be an abundance of money that can be distributed solely to individuals and their families managing this illness everyday and the needs they face.

The IBC was a fundraiser, where and how where those funds disturbed ? and makes me wonder just how much went into the hands of those that need it? I'm not bashing these organizations and all the wonderful work they do, just questioning why those in need are still left needing ??

xox

Unfortunately we do not have any savings. If I did I would be able to fund a lot it if myself. The fact we have no savings gives us more stress. We were just starting to live more comfortably and putting a little aside, when this bomb shell was dropped. I agree about the ibc. I understand that quite a few projects were funded with the money, but surely not all of it?

Hi Pink;

It is very disappointing to have hope and then for it to be refused.

It is the first thing I ask now , is it means tested and what are the limits. I applied to the Fire Services Benevolent Fund for some contribution towards a new expensive wheelchair, I have not had any help from them for six years. I was then asked to fill in forms, send bank statements, and jump through hoops only to find that any monies are means tested.

Still, at least it's warm outside for your new wash dry loo, I have a big tent if you want some privacy.

Love Terry
    TB once said that "The forum is still the best source for friendship and information."

It will only remain so if new people post and keep us updated on things that work or don't work and tips.

Please post on old threads that are of use so that others see them and feel free to start new subjects and threads.

Forum Member
    All so very unfair.

If a person in the US is struck with a serious illness and they don't have health insurance they must first go thru all their life savings and even sell their home before qualifying for 'charity care'.

If a person has no health insurance, and no life savings, and basically owns nothing they then would qualify for 'charity care' and would receive the medical care needed for free, but only by doctors accepting charity care, but most do not.

In the US you need and must have health insurance because doing without it could literally cost you your life. Which is why when Obamacare came along so many jumped on it, and lives were saved.

xox

Ha ha Terry... Yes lovely new toilet but no walls to put round, what will the neighbours think!!
    We are now thinking of releasing some equity from our property but not sure you can if you still have a mortgage on it? My fantastic mother is also looking into it to give me some of my inheritance now while I need it. Going to get these adaptations done one way or another!