Thread: Bulbar motor neurone and sickness

Forum Member

Bulbar motor neurone and sickness

Hi all,

My husband has bulbar motor neurone and yesterday he started getting pains in his stomach and being sick. The doctor has been out today and given him an injection for the sickness. However he has had another feed through his peg and it just comes straight back up. Has anyone else with bulbar motor neurone suffered with sickness? He is going to try some more food in an hour and if that comes back up he will have to go to hospital. I was wondering if this was one of the symptoms of bulbar motor neurone. I would be grateful for any advice.

Bonnylass

No it isn't a symptom. Has he changed anything to do with his feed or meds? Or it may be a tummy bug?

Hi both,

I agree with Ellie, it's not a problem I have experienced,sounds like a bug . I have had an upset stomach that resulted in the same end, but it proved to be a gift from our granddaughter as she had much the same that night.hope he gets over it soon .

Pete
    Last edited by pete; 28th April 2015 at 16:46.
    All I need is a miracle

Just a further thought: did GP suggest Dioralyte or extra water to replace fluids once injection kicks in?
    If so, using food pump to give fluids at a slow rate is handy. Rinse an empty food bag well and put in water/Dioralyte.

Hi All;

I agree with the chimp as well. Try feeding him very slowly as it might help but it does sound like a bug.

Love Terry
    TB once said that "The forum is still the best source for friendship and information."

It will only remain so if new people post and keep us updated on things that work or don't work and tips.

Please post on old threads that are of use so that others see them and feel free to start new subjects and threads.

Try taking it a bit slower. If you plunge the syring too fast the food will come back up.
    David

Forum Member
    Sorry for my late reply. It turned out that my husband had a bowel obstruction plus he had aspiration pneumonia. He was critically ill but he is now home and much better. He has been told that he now has a sluggish bowel so we are now feeding through the peg via a pump which has helped. I think he pushed the food through too quickly through the peg which didn't help.

Thanks for all your replies.

Bonnylass

Good to hear he is home and more comfortable.
    Now he needs to try and manage his sluggish bowels! Often easier said than done; he may need ongoing laxatives, I'm sure his doctor discussed his options.
    Take care,
    Ellie.
    Last edited by Ellie; 14th May 2015 at 15:25.

Forum Member
    Bonnylass, I am so pleased to hear he is home. Bulbar onset is tricky sometimes - it has a life all of its own. I hope it all settles down now. Much love Joycie xx

Hi Bonnylass;

Very sorry to hear of your hubbies problems and I hope that they won't return.

Regards Terry
    TB once said that "The forum is still the best source for friendship and information."

It will only remain so if new people post and keep us updated on things that work or don't work and tips.

Please post on old threads that are of use so that others see them and feel free to start new subjects and threads.