Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Pressure Sores

Hybrid View

Pressure Sores

Hi All

I have been given a strange cushion to, hopefully, keep pressure sores away. However, I seem to be in Stage 1 of a pressure sore. The advice is to keep moving. Easier said than done when you cannot move/walk. I have tried wriggling but this lasts only for a few seconds.

Any advice and/or suggestions would be most welcome.

Hugs to you all

Anna

Not sure what stage one pressure sores are and I have never had anything other than hips feeling sores whilst in bed.

Your new mattress should help if it's one that moves. You can get air cushions for a chair that move as well. Who said about your sores and ask them for more help.

I have heard that once you've got proper sores they are a real problem to get rid of and getting someone to more you every couple of hours would probably be very good until the new mattress comes.

Hope they are not to bad Anna.

Love Terry
    TB once said that "The forum is still the best source for friendship and information."

It will only remain so if new people post and keep us updated on things that work or don't work and tips.

Please post on old threads that are of use so that others see them and feel free to start new subjects and threads.

There are special creams that you can get on prescription which help if you don't have them already. Proshield is one and this is better used as a preventative. If you have what could become a pressure sore you're better off with Cavilon.

I had air mattress delivered Monday. Don't think I need it yet but I believe in getting something before I actually need it.
    If you have sores try E45 or the same stuff as you put on babies bottom, or wherever the sore

Forum Member
    The only solution to preventing a stage one developing further is to remove the pressure. Depending on where the sore is will depend on how much you can do for yourself without further assistance. If it hasn't got better in 2-3 days or has got worse don't wait to seek further advice as they can be difficult to get rid of the more immobile people are.

Thank you so much for your helpful comments. Stage 1 pressure sore is when the area is a bit red and inflamed. Thanks to you I have been having Cavilon put on and Proshield is being collected from the doctors.

I am pleased to report the sore looks a lot better this morning. I have found that sitting and sleeping in my MND recliner has enabled me to move the chair in various positions, from sitting upright to lying down, and consequently takes the pressure off the sore.

I am going to start a thread about sleeping in my recliner versus bed.

Many thanks again.

Hugs
    Anna

Forum Member
    yes, please start a thread. I am not there yet but I will be, I suppose. I am becoming persuaded by events that the days of my Rollator are decreasing. I was pushing it yesterday when my legs just buckled and I dropped to the ground. Wheelchairs in future, I suppose but it is a sad realisation! I have a recliner from MNDA too and it is useful to raise me up but I wouldn't fancy sleeping on it all night, to be truthful! So post that thread! Much love. Joycie. X

Hi Joycie;

Sorry to hear that you've hit the ground again. It might help to have a bit of weight in the rollator. I have a gallon of water in mine and it makes it very stable so that any LITTLE over balances can be held. Won't help if you have a total buckle much though.

Love Terry
    TB once said that "The forum is still the best source for friendship and information."

It will only remain so if new people post and keep us updated on things that work or don't work and tips.

Please post on old threads that are of use so that others see them and feel free to start new subjects and threads.

Forum Member
    thanks Terry, that is really useful. I made the mistake of going to the farm shop, up a mud track to look at plants. It wasn't stable and I just fell , well I really don't know what happened, but I sank to the floor. I came home, hole in my knee but trousers not split at all (how does that happen?) Peter has put a plaster on it and it will be OK. Much love Joycie xx

Forum Member
    Hi Joycie, hope the knee is on the mend.
    Had a fall with my rollator too, with a very painful landing onto the wheel with my backside. Didn't need a plaster ( don't think they do them big enough though ) my fall was done outside, caused by the brakes not working well in the wet, so similar to your muddy track then Joycie? You have to see the funny side of the situations we get ourselves into don't you think? Wonky legs, can't swap them or trade them in for a new pair, can you?
    Hugs to you both, Mick & Jayne.