Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sleeping in Recliner

Sleeping in Recliner

Dear All

I have read on the Forum that a lot of you out there sleep in your MND recliners. I have
    been provided with various mattresses for my profile bed including a swanky electric one but I still prefer my MND recliner to sleep in.

This is mainly because I can adjust where my legs go - either flat or bent at the knees that seems to take the pressure off my bottom, or even dangling in space if I get cramp.

I wondered how many of you are out there are like me?

Hugs
    Anna

Hi Anna;

I think it's better to move or be moved around for a number of reasons but if you are uncomfortable in bed then maybe the chair is better. The Mnda chairs are quite basic and there are better ones if you stay in it for longer periods.

I can still move around so the bed is the place for me.

Love Terry
    TB once said that "The forum is still the best source for friendship and information."

It will only remain so if new people post and keep us updated on things that work or don't work and tips.

Please post on old threads that are of use so that others see them and feel free to start new subjects and threads.

Hi Anna,
    Is the armchair comfortable enough to sleep in in? Is it not a bit hard? Does it support your feet?
    I can barely snooze in my RR because when I am reclined, my feet dangle unsupported over the end, stretching the front of my feet.
    I have slept in the same position for 5 years! On my back, on an air mattress with circulating air (that is important) I am not turned and have never had pressure sores. I don’t have a profiling bed, the air mattress is on top of my normal mattress. Although I cannot move my arms or turn in the bed, I can move my legs. I have a firm pillow under my knees and can bend a leg to rest my foot on the pillow when I want. This also helps my hips from inversion.
    There are various types of supports and cushions available. You should ask your OT. I would think that if you can be comfortable in a bed, it would be better than sleeping in an armchair, but go with whatever affords you the best quality sleep.
    Take care,
    Ellie.

Dear Ellie

After seeing your post yesterday I thought I would try the bed with the electric mattress again last night. I lay there for an hour in the hope that the 'bumps' would settle down. Getting into position in bed makes my back hurt and when getting out after an hour it hurt again.

The chair came to my rescue again. It is long enough to accommodate my feet and it's not too hard. I do like the fact that, for a change, I can wedge my feet in the bend of the recliner and have my legs in a different position.

I do agree with you that my quality of sleep would be better in a bed but, unfortunately, that, for me, seems to be how it is.

Thank you, Ellie, for your interest.

Hugs

Anna

Hi Anna. Doesn't your profile bed have a facility to bend at the knees? Trevor's did and he got it just right for him so his head and neck were raised and his knees too ... choice of being just raised or bent too. The angles had very fine adjustment.
    He and the cat really loved THEIR recliner during the day.
    (Cat not allowed on the bed for fear of damaging the air mattress with het claws!)
    Last edited by Nettie B; 29th May 2015 at 17:21.

Hi Ellie;

Can you get a recliner from social services that supports your feet or have someone put a stool, chair or table there with a cushion on to do a similar job.

Anne;

Get onto the person that got the mattress and tell them of your problems, there are more than one air-mattress manufacture. If you get a reasonable sleep, don't worry where it is. Four years ago, I hurt my back and I slept reclined in my wheel chair for two nights, as it relieved the pain.

Best wishes, Terry
    TB once said that "The forum is still the best source for friendship and information."

It will only remain so if new people post and keep us updated on things that work or don't work and tips.

Please post on old threads that are of use so that others see them and feel free to start new subjects and threads.

Quote Originally Posted by Tikitiboo? View Post
    Dear Ellie

After seeing your post yesterday I thought I would try the bed with the electric mattress again last night. I lay there for an hour in the hope that the 'bumps' would settle down. Getting into position in bed makes my back hurt and when getting out after an hour it hurt again.

The chair came to my rescue again. It is long enough to accommodate my feet and it's not too hard. I do like the fact that, for a change, I can wedge my feet in the bend of the recliner and have my legs in a different position.

I do agree with you that my quality of sleep would be better in a bed but, unfortunately, that, for me, seems to be how it is.

Thank you, Ellie, for your interest.

Hugs

Anna
    Hi Anna,
    Sounds very much like my nights, I tend to sleep in my wheelchair tilted back, that seems the most comfortable and much easier if I have to get up for the loo, average twice a night drinking all this extra fluids to cope withe heat !!!.
    All I need is a miracle

Oh Pete;

We do feel so sorry for you being in the sun and warmth whilst we have web feet and are shivering. Have a nice time.

Love Terry

Hi El Tel,

Yes mate it was worth all the effort and stress caused by not knowing if and was it going to be worth it, It was , just to plan tomorrow without worrying it may rain as in England it never fails, I just wish our country had better weather if it had ,in my opinion there is no better place for scenery and countryside and all in easy reach, no fit to fly rubbish ,just get in the car and go.
    If I could I would send you a few days of sun and warmth mate it really does make the days better by far .

Pete
    X
    All I need is a miracle

Hi Anna,
    Sorry you’re still uncomfortable in bed.
    What causes the “bumps” in the mattress? Is it weight adjustable?
    The first mattress I was given wasn’t weight adjustable, so I felt like I was lying on ridges and could not sleep. I am light (always was) and the bog standard mattresses aren’t suitable for everybody.
    I then got one into which one inputs the person’s weight and bliss
    Ellie x

FWIW, mine is a Meditech 2000 and I weigh 49kgs