Thread: Respite care

Forum Member

Respite care

My husband has back problems and is finding having to use the hoist to get me out of bed, to the loo, into wheelchair etc, and back to bed again at night very painful on his back. The trouble is that we live in the 'sticks', nearest village is nearly 2 miles away and, although I have 2 lovely carer's twice a day, they come at 10.30 mornings and 6.15 evenings. My husband needs respite care but we have to arrange it and pay for it ourselves. I'm worried that a nursing home won't have experience of MND patients. Has anyone had a similar problem? Any suggestions? Thanks, Rainey.

Hi Rainey;

Sorry to hear of your hubbies back problems. I wonder if he could be hoisted less or if his OT can find a different one. I guess his on some medication for the pain as this might reduce any spasms in his muscles.

Most nursing homes don't have much experience with Mnd but Hospices do. I strongly recommend that you contact the nearest one and talk to them. They do offer rest bit and will look at his pains etc. as well.

Also contact Mnda connect and explain the situation as they too well give good advice and might be able help.

Love Terry
    TB once said that "The forum is still the best source for friendship and information."

It will only remain so if new people post and keep us updated on things that work or don't work and tips.

Please post on old threads that are of use so that others see them and feel free to start new subjects and threads.

Hi Rainey I'm new to this forum, so excuse me if I am not up-to-speed with your history or MND status.
    Can you increase your carer visits to 4 times a day as a first step.
    Are you able to use a stand & turn.
    Dude

Forum Member
    A nursing home in Marston moretaine has experience of MND.

Forum Member
    At mum's nursing home they'd never seen MND before she and another gentleman were admitted within weeks of each other. The local branch of MNDA organised training for the staff. There were some teething problems but no worse than we'd experienced in hospital. On the whole it was as positive an experience as it could be in the circumstances.

Rainey, it's a shame that you have to pay for respite; it is so necessary and beneficial for both parties. As Terry said, the hospice can be a great help and their OT might have suggestions re different hoists/methods of transfers etc.

Your hubby's back pain is a problem, not only for him but potentially for you too. If he is out of action, you are in trouble. Can you get extra carer hours?

Hope you get something sorted soon.

Ellie.

Hi Rainey;

One other thing, it's worth joining in any carers group, whilst my wife does not want to sit and talk to a load of other people in a similar position, they do provide some other help and benefits.

Dude also has a good idea about seeing if you can get more help.

Love Terry
    TB once said that "The forum is still the best source for friendship and information."

It will only remain so if new people post and keep us updated on things that work or don't work and tips.

Please post on old threads that are of use so that others see them and feel free to start new subjects and threads.