Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: OptiKey - full computer control (and speech) with your eyes

I'm sure others have said Julius, take a bit of time for yourself and family. I know probably how you are driven to get things right and done in the least possible time. I tend to think of things at 3 am, waking up. I used to have to get up and wright things down before I could go back to sleep so always tried to complete things in the dayish time.

Regards Terry
    TB once said that "The forum is still the best source for friendship and information."

It will only remain so if new people post and keep us updated on things that work or don't work and tips.

Please post on old threads that are of use so that others see them and feel free to start new subjects and threads.

optikey_julius
    Finally - I've recorded a video showing the main features of OptiKey. Please overlook the poor audio, my rambling, and the fact that the mouse cursor decided to become a small swarm of dots for no apparent reason... I cover a bit of everything - showing each screen and how I imagine it could be used to interact with other applications and generate speech. I hope it gives you a better idea of what OptiKey is capable of:

Full tour video

As always I'd love to hear any feedback and I'm here if you have suggestions or would like help to get OptiKey set up. Message me, reply to this, or email me on optikeyfeedback@gmail.com
    Last edited by optikey_julius; 10th July 2015 at 09:48.

Forum Member
    Hi Julius,

Excellent product!

I use Grid Player at the moment, as supplied by the MNDA, and it has major limitations.

The MNDA should use some of our money for the development of Optikey.

Regards

Graham

optikey_julius
    Quote Originally Posted by Graham View Post
    Hi Julius,

Excellent product!

I use Grid Player at the moment, as supplied by the MNDA, and it has major limitations.

The MNDA should use some of our money for the development of Optikey.

Regards

Graham
    Thanks Graham. Terrible production quality on the video though!! Not my forte yet.

If you feel that OptiKey could be useful to you, or you would like to try it, please email me: optikeyfeedback@gmail.com. Only through working with you guys do I have a shot at turning this into a really useful application.

The end goal is to keep improving OptiKey to the point where an association such as the MNDA take it seriously. I've got a vision of this forming the core of an extremely low cost computer control & speech solution (free software + 60-80 eye tracker + low cost laptop/tablet that a user may already own). With the backing of a big organisation I would like to think that this could be really beneficial to people.

Forum Member
    Hi Julius,

The reason why our MNDA should take Optikey seriously NOW is that it is developed by people with a vested interest in its use.

The Grid Player voice is poor. It is too fast and only has one voice. It struggles with pronounciation.

Natural Reader has a far more superior voice and the software is reasonably priced. Natural Reader provide a development suite that should allow Optikey to be bolted on. What are your views on Natural Reader?

Regards

Hi Julius,

It’s not often I’m moved to tears, but watching that video brought me close! I don’t underestimate just how many hours of development Optikey took.
    I‘ll rewatch the video a few times and then let myself loose on it.
    And to Mrs J; sorry your hubby had other things on his mind
    Be proud of yourself.

Ellie.

optikey_julius
    Quote Originally Posted by Graham View Post
    Hi Julius,

The reason why our MNDA should take Optikey seriously NOW is that it is developed by people with a vested interest in its use.

The Grid Player voice is poor. It is too fast and only has one voice. It struggles with pronounciation.

Natural Reader has a far more superior voice and the software is reasonably priced. Natural Reader provide a development suite that should allow Optikey to be bolted on. What are your views on Natural Reader?

Regards
    I've only looked into the availability of alternate (non-microsoft) TTS voices once and I didn't have much luck finding free ones. OptiKey supports any voices which can be installed into Windows, so the best lead I've found so far is the http://modeltalker.org/ service. I've had some issues with my microphone (as you can clearly hear in my last video!), but I've ordered a Sennheiser today so I'm going to give that another go.

I've just had a google and found a number of possible sources for high quality voices, including regional accented voices; Natural Reader, AT&T voices, Acapela, NextUP (which links through to a few other sources), and another one. They all look like they sell voices to end users, but I'll dig a little deeper and contact them to see if they might be willing to license some voices to me for inclusion within OptiKey.

Have you found any good sources for voices that are free?

In terms of progressing OptiKey - do you have any ideas on how I might make some inroads with the MNDA? I have their email on a list of people to contact, but I wanted to see what the general reaction to OptiKey was before I made contact.

Regards,
    Julius

optikey_julius
    Quote Originally Posted by Ellie View Post
    Hi Julius,

It’s not often I’m moved to tears, but watching that video brought me close! I don’t underestimate just how many hours of development Optikey took.
    I‘ll rewatch the video a few times and then let myself loose on it.
    And to Mrs J; sorry your hubby had other things on his mind
    Be proud of yourself.

Ellie.
    Lovely of you to say. Lots of hours, but it's been a pleasure, especially now I feel like it's on the verge of people starting to use it.

Sorry the video is so long. I didn't start recording until after midnight last night and my adrenaline from the day had worn off after spending an hour failing to make my microphone behave!

Best of luck trying it out. optikeyfeedback@gmail.com if you have any questions or feedback. It's very much in the forefront of my priorities at the moment so there's a very good chance that anything you want tweaked will be turned around quickly.

Forum Member
    Hi Julius,

I suspect that my laptop that runs XP OS is restricted to IE7 and that is the reason why I am unable to download. I will test Vista tomorrow. Safari is able to open the website but Safari is unable to download also.

All that I want from a voice is for it to speak clearly in an intelligible way that is smart enough to recognise the subtleties of our English language. I currently don't have this with Grid. I am comfortable paying up to 50 for a voice and I suspect the majority of the market would accept that.

There are a few other limitations with Grid that I will go into later.

The MNDA have a responsibility to get the best value for our charity donations and so it is incumbent on the MNDA to investigate your product. There is a much wider market that your offering satisfies. MS, stroke, cerebral palsy, the list goes on and on.

Norman has hit the nail on the head, the able market has a desire to use this technology just as much as the disabled market.

Regards

Graham

Forum Member
    My voice, Lucy, on Speak It sounds OK to me - cost me under 5.