Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 'Liquid Hope' - PEG and nutrition

it may have been a pig, although i'm not sure what the difference is between a pig or a rig. i know i wasn't fit enough for a peg.

there's a hole in the literature that i believe is being closed.

sorry about your tube!
    sorry about the absence of caps in my posts, my shift key is broken.

Forum Member
    Hi
    My Mum had a RIG and it's definitely got a balloon. The district nurse comes weekly to maintain it which involves inflating it with water.
    She was told a RIG would be better as she had breathing problems
    It was done a year or so ago
    Sarah

Hi Steve;

It appears that both PEG and a PIG are done by putting tubes in from the inside and going out and a RIG goes from the outside in. Both PIG and PEG use a plastic disc on the inside and are both long term tubes where a RIG uses a balloon inflated with normally 5ml of water and last about 3/4 months before being replaced at home.

The main difference between PEG and a PIG is the method they use to find the site hole.

Love Terry
    TB once said that "The forum is still the best source for friendship and information."

It will only remain so if new people post and keep us updated on things that work or don't work and tips.

Please post on old threads that are of use so that others see them and feel free to start new subjects and threads.

i wonder how they decide between pig and rig then.

I think that they do a RIG when the breathing is okish and a PIG or a RIG when there is a concern. I don't think that all hospitals offer or do PIG's and my hospital only done RIG's for people with Mnd, at least that is what she said to me.
    TB once said that "The forum is still the best source for friendship and information."

It will only remain so if new people post and keep us updated on things that work or don't work and tips.

Please post on old threads that are of use so that others see them and feel free to start new subjects and threads.

Forum Member
    I had a rig In sheffield in January. I would imagine that you had the same, Steve. I have no balloon, no nurse involvement, just a feeding tube that has to be rotated every week. Joycie. X

yeah thats the one.

Forum Member
    Hi

My hubby has refused to have one. Has anyone else decided not to have a PEG/RIG? Has anyone changed their mind and what made you change your mind to have one?
    Thanks
    Sylv

My Trevor had a PEG. The food was produced by Fresubin. It was delivered to the door every four weeks following a phone call weeks previously to make sure the date was convenient. It was an excellent service. There was a helpline to phone if any problems with the PEG arose during times when his dietician was not available (say out of hours).
    Trevor did get constipation issues a couple of weeks before he died despite his particular food being the "energy fibre" option. He was very well hydrated too. I am pretty sure that the constipation was not so much a result of the food but of the fact that he was less able to evacuate normally simply due to be exhaustion and the MND itself.
    Don't fear the PEG or food in this country folks.
    X Nettie.

Forum Member
    Sylvia, I debated long and hard but it was the common sense approach that swung it. I felt it was better being done sooner rather than later, while I was fit. Now I know that, if I need to in the future, I can get sustenance through it, can take any medication through it. I only use it to flush it out with water at the moment. I am pleased I had it. It is something of an insurance policy. But I know some people never have one. It is your own personal decision. Much love. Joycie x