Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Thread Scatter

Thread Scatter

Dear Moderators,

When threads are scattered around the sub-forums they make a mockery of the structure and complicate elementary searching. Surely it makes sense to tidy up and ask member to consider for a moment where they locate new threads?

It's a pain in the bum to execute, but this is how professional forums administer themselves.
    Toodle pip!

Norman
    Wordpress Blog

Hi Norman;

I do agree but it is quite a task, so many threads move off and on to different subjects.

Maybe it would be OK if you copied and pasted any relevant post into new threads. I have done it before but have usually asked people if that's OK witch can be a bit hard and super time consuming.

Love Terry
    TB once said that "The forum is still the best source for friendship and information."

It will only remain so if new people post and keep us updated on things that work or don't work and tips.

Please post on old threads that are of use so that others see them and feel free to start new subjects and threads.

Quote Originally Posted by Terry View Post
    Hi Norman;

I do agree but it is quite a task, so many threads move off and on to different subjects.

Maybe it would be OK if you copied and pasted any relevant post into new threads. I have done it before but have usually asked people if that's OK witch can be a bit hard and super time consuming.

Love Terry
    Hi Terry,

Within your post you demonstrate the need: done that way it would be a dreary task indeed.

Fortunately forum software simplifies the task by providing moderators with a set of tools. These are normally bundled into the moderators editor panel when they are granted moderator privileges by the System Administrator. Using these they can edit, move, merge threads and perform many other tasks. These is also a Moderator's Forum which resides (invisible to regular members) on the top level. Here the Mod Team privately discuss issues, mostly the contentious type.

By regular combing and sensitive, respectful guidance to members, moderators ensure that threads remain within their relevant sub-forums. So to answer your question, no, it would not take that long for moderators to return the forum to sensible order.

Example: Take a look at the 'landing area' for new members - Introduce Yourself. The title is self explanatory, but look at the range of thread/topic descriptions within.

Prerequisites for success? A Lead Moderator responsible for the collaborative design and evolution of policy. Moderators who are present on the forum and active in the execution of that policy.

All comments offered here in a spirit of friendly contribution. I'm past banging a drum, I simply want to see this place be an efficient resource for members who arrive skating a ragged, emotion edge.

Full disclosure (the basis for the comments above):
    I have been part of a 6 person moderating team (founder member) within the British Airline Pilots Association (BA section) for many years.
    I am in the closing stages of a PG degree, MA (Online & Distance Education).
    Last edited by FlyingSoupDragon; 7th September 2015 at 10:08.
    Toodle pip!

Norman
    Wordpress Blog

Thanks Norman;

Yes it would be very dreary and lengthy task. Maybe the moderators could work with you in as much that you point out what you would like moved into the new sections etc.

It is hard because a new thread has started up in "Introduce your self" that perhaps should be in the technology area.

BUT PEOPLE don't stop posting new threads if you do not know where and how, Just post them anyway, we know forum posting is new to many people.

Love Terry
    TB once said that "The forum is still the best source for friendship and information."

It will only remain so if new people post and keep us updated on things that work or don't work and tips.

Please post on old threads that are of use so that others see them and feel free to start new subjects and threads.

Quote Originally Posted by Terry View Post
    Thanks Norman;

Yes it would be very dreary and lengthy task. Maybe the moderators could work with you in as much that you point out what you would like moved into the new sections etc.

It is hard because a new thread has started up in "Introduce your self" that perhaps should be in the technology area.

BUT PEOPLE don't stop posting new threads if you do not know where and how, Just post them anyway, we know forum posting is new to many people.

Love Terry
    Hi Terry,

With respect this shouldn't come down to what I want, it's a matter of what the moderating team understand as being desirable i.e conforming to their guidelines. Policy and guidance comes from the mods leader. I suggest only what is known to work generally, member engagement and participation improves if there is order across the board.

New threads may end up in the wrong place due to member inexperience, they can be moved by mods to the correct place leaving a 'ghost' being which redirects every visitor to the relocated thread. Why do this? By relocating the thread visitors are able to visit a sub-forum and see within the content they're looking for. The fact that a ghost exists elsewhere is merely a courtesy to the original poster.
    Mods may enter a short post at the 'move' point within the thread to inform the poster that this has taken place. It's here that the mods sensitivity must be exercised if the new member is to continue feeling included and valued. No barking at 'em, just friendly guidance.

Members soon catch on and enjoy the glow that comes with effective collaboration. At least that's what I have observed.

Note: There are many different forum software manufacturers, each tends to do things in a broadly similar way, but with their own variations in naming and execution.
    Last edited by FlyingSoupDragon; 7th September 2015 at 10:47.
    Toodle pip!

Norman
    Wordpress Blog

Hi Norman;

I do agree with you but the moderators probably don't know what some of the stuff we talk about is and their experience with forums. They could probably do with a little guidance from us.

It will make things easier and better to access.

It would be nice to hear from the moderators on this and their views on it etc.

Love Terry

Good moderators would eat this for breakfast Terry. How difficult can it be to split Medication from Living with MND etc? When it starts any member can flag an 'orphan' post and suggest a home for it.

Yes, let's hear from the mods.
    Toodle pip!

Norman
    Wordpress Blog

Hi Norman,

I'm convinced. You've got the job!!!

Barry
    Iím going to do this even if it kills me!

Norman's washing his hands of it Barry, LOL.

But it would be good to hear from the other side, we don't mind how good or bad they are, let's just work together to improve things.

Love, as always, Terry

As a member of a few years I am not sure what the problem is. If I want a particular topic I put it in the search engine and get answers. They may not been in the right area of the forum but the search engine does not care about that, finds them and shows where they are so they can be read. Is it important that they are under the right heading or do people trawl through sections looking for answers in every thread in that section rather than simply enter what they are searching for in the search box?
    How many posts are there since this forum came into being? Is it necessary to read each post, establish it is in the right place and move it or move on? Sounds like a mountain to me.
    Are we aware of people struggling to find information on here and having to leave empty handed?
    I am of the "if it ain't broke then don't fix it" school but are others aware of the difficulty of trying to find something which exists here on the forum?

John