Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Thread Scatter

Looking at the forum statistics there are 49081 posts in 4371threads. Is it really a simple task for a moderator to sift through those?

John

Quote Originally Posted by john View Post
    As a member of a few years I am not sure what the problem is. If I want a particular topic I put it in the search engine and get answers. They may not been in the right area of the forum but the search engine does not care about that, finds them and shows where they are so they can be read. Is it important that they are under the right heading or do people trawl through sections looking for answers in every thread in that section rather than simply enter what they are searching for in the search box?
    How many posts are there since this forum came into being? Is it necessary to read each post, establish it is in the right place and move it or move on? Sounds like a mountain to me.
    Are we aware of people struggling to find information on here and having to leave empty handed?
    I am of the "if it ain't broke then don't fix it" school but are others aware of the difficulty of trying to find something which exists here on the forum?

John
    +1, not a major issue for me.

threads are organic and can cover several issues, creating new threads as the conversation changes is not practical or desireable.
    sorry about the absence of caps in my posts, my shift key is broken.

Quote Originally Posted by FlyingSoupDragon View Post
    Members soon catch on and enjoy the glow that comes with effective collaboration. At least that's what I have observed.
    Norman, is this patronising, condescending sentiment for real???

Thereís a HUGE difference between this forum and the BALPA forum. Sure, they both share information amongst members, but each set of members have completely different demographics and the ultimate objective of why people post simply cannot be compared.

Yes, sometimes people post under "wrong" headings; it happens in most forums. I would say this forum doesnít lend itself to pedantic pigeon-holing as threads can become very fluid.

I agree with John, it's just not an issue for me or many others, if the limited number of responses are an indication of interest. Iím much too busy trying to live with ALS!

Ellie.

Yes I agree Steve;

Maybe it would be nice to pick out relevant posts out of the threads and copy and move them. But finding relevant information can be hard for me sometimes.

But it would be so much easier if they were sorted for new comers and occasional visitors.

It's not a simple subject.

Love Terry
    TB once said that "The forum is still the best source for friendship and information."

It will only remain so if new people post and keep us updated on things that work or don't work and tips.

Please post on old threads that are of use so that others see them and feel free to start new subjects and threads.

John,
    When people arrive here many seem to be low on background MND knowledge and are stressed by their situation. Reading across the landing area (Introducing Yourself) this may be the first time they have joined an online forum or written anything so publicly, let alone opened their hearts to the world.
    Searching using keywords is great if you know what you're looking for. As an established forum member of some years you 'know how', new members may not always 'know how' to search, or even know what they're looking for. They are likely to naturally apply the book metaphor - start looking through the Contents page beneath various headings making serendipitous discoveries along the way as you would within the chapters of any book.

Steve's possibly in the same boat, he understands his illness, the forum and can, as an established tech-savvy member,can search and interact comfortably with other member. He doesn't see the need for anything to change? (please excuse the assumptions Steve, they are illustrative).
    'Thread creep' is natural but as mentioned below they all have a starting point, a question, a statement designed to flush out comment or a cry for help. That should really define where a thread lives. There are good 'catch-all' areas for general conversations like 'Living with MND'.

Ellie,
    Fool that I am, I was describing how I feel during productive collaboration and after the discovery of new information. Particularly that which helps me understand something like this disease. I'm sorry if you felt patronised and found my words condescending, nothing was further from my thoughts.
    There is (imho) little difference in the underlying needs of members of either forum, they have an area of interest, a desire to either read or converse. Of course I agree that individuals motivations and subject matter interests are very different but would suggest that the fundamental need for navigation across and through the information landscape is the important issue here.

I agree that threads, being essentially conversations, do tend to meander, but they all start out with a question or proposition of sorts. It is this that defines where they start out in the forum 'book'. The suggestion here is not that we should 'pedantically pigeon-hole' every thread, simply that medical specifics don't fit well within a welcoming area etc, etc. If someone has a gem to share around the financial support available for carers, guess where a new member would love to find it... That's all I'm saying here.

Terry, thanks for the support. Of course you're right, 4000+ threads and nearly 50,000 odd posts it would take months to sort and relocate them. What might happen is this process to the depth of a month or three, then as time rolled on, order would prevail. There may be a place for a Tips & Tricks area that offers advice on searching and other areas perhaps unfamiliar to new members (not condescending or patronising, just helpful and informative).

I quietly offered help with the task but after a week or so have received no reply. I have pitched an opinion out there elicited feedback but I will not keep banging this drum, in fact I will leave it here. Like Ellie, I have other stuff to attend to. My intention has been to offer ways that the MNDA forum might improve as a member resource - nothing more.
    Last edited by FlyingSoupDragon; 8th September 2015 at 10:10.
    Toodle pip!

Norman
    Wordpress Blog

I know your intention is for the good of the forum Norman and you did email me when you started saying that you was a newbe and wanted to tread carefully, which you have done.

Not sure why there's no reply from the moderators but with Clair leaving and annual leave they might be short staffed. As we both have said we are happy to work with people and we are not worried about their ability.

Don't take much notice from the Chimp, she's used to things in a mess, her emails are all stuck in the bark around the tree, where I keep mine all tidy in different trash bins.

Love Terry
    TB once said that "The forum is still the best source for friendship and information."

It will only remain so if new people post and keep us updated on things that work or don't work and tips.

Please post on old threads that are of use so that others see them and feel free to start new subjects and threads.

I sense a smart mind behind the hairy face and lipstick Terry. I never take offence, she had a fair point and the written word carried plenty off opportunity for several interpretations depending upon ear tuning.

I also love debate, even when I'm fighting a rear-guard action to cover my goofs. ;-) LOL
    Toodle pip!

Norman
    Wordpress Blog

Hi Norman,

How astute of you!
    Here's a selfie I took at 0300UTC waiting for a taxi.

Attachment 411

Ellie x

Oops... is this thread creep? Sorry.

Oh Ellie, you set the heart a-flutter, you shouldn't tease us so.
    Nightclub restroom mirrors don't do so well for lippy work after 02:00 do they?

Good sport xx
    Toodle pip!

Norman
    Wordpress Blog

Forum Member
    Ellie, you are so funny! That has really made me laugh! Love. Joycie xx