Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Continuing Health Care (CHC): anyone have any feedack?

Continuing Health Care (CHC): anyone have any feedack?

I'm in the system and awaiting results of the consultation. It seems to be an enlightened and effective system, but it took a knock in the press recently. Any end-user advice or feedback on this NHS system gratefully received.
    Toodle pip!

Norman
    Wordpress Blog

Forum Member
    Hello Norman. Let us know how you get on with decision. We are funding all our care at the moment. But we have no nursing care. I am not quite sure where parameters change. Joycie

Quote Originally Posted by willsandco View Post
    Hello Norman. Let us know how you get on with decision. We are funding all our care at the moment. But we have no nursing care. I am not quite sure where parameters change. Joycie
    Hi Joycie,

CHC is comparatively new and as I understand it, not means tested.

There is a checklist which provides guidance on eligibility etc.

We had a consult and the application's been completed and submitted, as soon as I see a result I'll report back here.
    Last edited by FlyingSoupDragon; 8th September 2015 at 13:52.
    Toodle pip!

Norman
    Wordpress Blog

Forum Member
    Thanks so much Norman.

The checklist has been very instructive. We know what we are dealing with now!

Hope you have a successful outcome.

Love. Joycie

I went through it and was awarded part funding. I am totally PEG fed, have little movement, hoisted and wheeled everywhere etc. and have no way of communicating when away from a screen. It makes little difference to me as I qualify for free social care.

I believe our social worker is challenging it, again I'm not too bothered which pot it comes out of.

The decision took 2 months from the form going in.
    sorry about the absence of caps in my posts, my shift key is broken.

We also found with MND you are often an A or a C, it's not a perfect system. Then again, it's designed for a very broad spectrum of diseases.

Thanks guys, being under the aegis of the NHS you would think that policy would be fairly consistant. From my home visit with my local council social worker (impressively helpful chap) it seems county council social care funding works closely with the NHS in that should CHC be granted it replaces existing council awarded funds. CHC being seen as having greater latitude and funding powers.
    Toodle pip!

Norman
    Wordpress Blog

that's why social workers will push, it frees up their funding.

Forum Member
    Hello,

For me this is an interesting thread, at the moment I am able to manage without a carer, my wife does a lot for me as even my daily job of emptying the dishwasher can take an hour. I can wash and dress myself and eat normally, since my diagnosis in March I seem to have put on a couple of stone, I am 6'3" and really need to address that as it makes it more difficult for me to get around and when I need carers I may present a considerable challenge. Having said that my MND/ALS has impacted upon my life to a pretty great degree and there will come a time I know when I am going to need a lot of help. I have been following the Labour leadership campaign and Jeremy Corbyn said that we are all just one accident away from total dependancy and that as we get older we get sick and need to be cared for, he advocates free care for all according to need which rings a bell with me.

All the best,

John x

Forum Member
    Sounds good to me, John. We are paying around 250 pounds for 6 x 3/4 hours carer slots per week. I am all for free care! But it ain't gonna happen, is it? Love. Joycie x