Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Carer wanted apply within

Night walker
    Quote Originally Posted by Alan Livett View Post
    Hi Nightwalker. I went through Social Services in the first instance. They undertook a 6 week assessment which was free. After that they organised a private care company for me. I currently have two carers for three one hour visits per week.. My local council currently only charges me for one carer even though I need two! This might change as government cuts hit. Worth trying. Regards Alan
    Hi Alan,
    Which council do you come under? I am under Cambridgeshire.
    Thanks sylv

Alan Livett
    Hi Sylv. My council is Bradford in West Yorkshire. I'm aware that different councils have different rules but it must be worth trying. Either way the 6 week assessment should be free and it means you will be allocated a social worker who can give you advice. Hope this helps. Regards Alan.

Forum Member
    Hi Sylv,

There are advantages and disadvantages with the various ways of employing carers.

The advantage of employing direct is that your husband has the opportunity to choose his carer. This is a massive issue for me as I have had many unsuitable carers. You may apply for Direct Payments to fund the Personal Assistant.

Regards

Graham