Thread: botox

botox

anyone else had this on their salivary glands?

it has dried me right up but i wouldn't recommend it, it has weakened my swallow so i get thick mucus at the back of my throat which i can't shift. it is too far back for the suction machine and too thick for me to bring up.

it's really making me miserable.
    sorry about the absence of caps in my posts, my shift key is broken.

Hi Steve I get those thick mucus fellas at the back of my throat. My mnd nurse visited last week and hilariously called them 'meaty ones'. I get choking episodes which are frightening. Come to think of it now she mentioned a drug. I'll email her and get back to you. We also have high levels of ferretin around these parts. Take it easy. Dude x

cheers dude, i missed you, you are the only one who gets my jokes!
    sorry about the absence of caps in my posts, my shift key is broken.

Tee hee.

Forum Member
    My mum only feeds via a peg and had Bottox on her saliva glands about a week ago.

It dried up the saliva, but she also is really struggling with tenacious mucus at the back of her throat. She describes it a a film over her throat that it feels like she cant breathe through - like a sticky bubble that won't burst. It looks foamy to me, but is a sticky as chewing gum when you try and zap it with a suction machine.

We are having battle 5-6 times a day trying to suck it up. If mum touches her tongue or epiglottis with the suction pipe it makes her gag, but if we do it as a team, and she holds torch and I aim it without touching tongue, you can get the ba****ds are the back. Stuff closer in can be grabbed with kitchen towel

She has been perscribed Oramorph to supposedly calm the breathing. Not sure if it is helping hugely.

Can anyone else who has had bottox, tell me if it settles down, or I will have a new full time job as mucus buster

Hi Deborah Joy and welcome to the forum.

I haven't had Botox as my saliva can be managed with meds, but I'm sure someone who has had Botox will post with their experiences.

In the meantime, if your mum hasn't increased her water intake, she should do so. Botox, in stopping saliva production, can have the side effect of making mucus stickier & thicker. Is she taking meds to thin the mucus? Does she have a nebuliser she can use with saline before suctioning? This can be really effective.

Re mum's breathing: if she's panicky, rather than experiencing air hunger, then Lorazepam may be better than Morphine. Ask G.P.

Ellie.
    ​Diagnosed 03/2007. Sporadic Definite ALS/MND Limb Onset.
    Eye gaze user - No working limbs - No speech - Feeding tube - Overnight NIV.

Finally got my botox on 1st August, saliva has almost disappeared but I have sticky thick mucus in my throat. I am taking carbocystene and pineapple juice to thin it hoping it will reduce shortly anyone have any tips I am dying for a decent cup of tea but the increased swallowing problem which the doctor mentioned before administering the botox is causing problems with drinking aswell I have have small amounts of fluids for taste

Hi Andrea, good to hear from you!

Am hoping your swallowing side effect issue might wear off? I love my daily cup of coffee, so I can only imagine you're gagging for your cuppa

IDK if you still have the NG tube? Lots of water helps thin the mucus, along with the carbo & pineapple juice.

Some find that taking an OTC Chesty Cough syrup containing Guaifenesin, also helpful or a saline nebuliser.

Often it's a case of trying a few different combinations to see what suits you best.

If the mucus is not manageable, I'd recommend getting a Suction Machine - does what it says on the tin - which can be supplied by your team and is very good. If the mucus can first be thinned, it makes the suctioning less agressive.

Good luck!

Love Ellie.
    ​Diagnosed 03/2007. Sporadic Definite ALS/MND Limb Onset.
    Eye gaze user - No working limbs - No speech - Feeding tube - Overnight NIV.

Forum Member
    I use a nebuliser twice a day which, with simple cough linctus, keeps that horrible thick mucus at the back of the throat, under control most of the time.