Thread: Delirium/confusion/hallucinations, anxiety etc - end stage?

Forum Member

Delirium/confusion/hallucinations, anxiety etc - end stage?

Hi,

I haven't posted before, but would like some advice please, if there is any, on some symptoms my mum is currently experiencing. She's now at the point where she has a constant syringe driver of Midazolam, topped up with morphine via the PEG and Mirtazapine/Diazepam for anxiety/discomfort relief prior to moving. She is basically bed-bound, but can still speak (slurred) and uses her NIPPY for a lot of the time. She's in the hospice due to high care needs and medication requirements.

Over the past couple weeks she has experienced hallucinations and confusion and very severe anxiety, imagining things that are not there, forgetting where she is/why she is in the hospice, and getting very anxious about family members leaving her, so that one of us always has to be there, even when a paid carer is present. From my research, it seems she may be suffering with Delirium.

We are assuming this is a mixture of the medication she is on, combined with low oxygen levels and extreme tiredness. I wondered if anyone else had experience of relatives having these kind of symptoms, particularly towards the end-stage and if it may be an indication that we are now in this final stage?

Many thanks

Hi Nature and welcome;

Sorry to hear about your Mum and I have heard of this before and I think that it's due to the drugs, oxygen and CO2 levels. It is not so common in Mnd people but sometimes happens.

Some strong pain killers can make me a little that way.

It could be a sign that she may be towards the end but you never know. It's best to ask the hospice for direct questions if you direct answers.

Best wishes, Terry
    TB once said that "The forum is still the best source for friendship and information."

It will only remain so if new people post and keep us updated on things that work or don't work and tips.

Please post on old threads that are of use so that others see them and feel free to start new subjects and threads.

Hi and welcome.
    I can't comment on why your mum is having these symptoms but as a comparison I was recently put on morphine and diazepam (amongst others) for a bulging disc. My wife tells me I was hallucinating quite badly so I would check this out with your consultant.

Hope things settle down quickly for you.

Mike
    Nothing is impossible, the word itself says 'I'm possible'!

Hi , my mum had major operation and was on self medicating morphine. She was saying the posters on the walls of nurses uniform id were turning away and tutting at her.welcome and hope you find anwers. Lorret

http://www.drugs.com/sfx/mirtazapine-side-effects.html

Hello I think, according to th'internet Mirtazapine is the main culprit . Dude x

Welcome to the forum x

All I can say is my dad experienced hallucinations and didn't seem to know what was happening some of the time. I never really got an explanation as to what was going on. Whether it was due to low oxygen levels, dehydration or FTD. He wasn't on any meds, but as the others have said your mum could be experiencing side effects from hers. is there anyone at the hospice you could ask about it?

tc xx Becky

Forum Member
    Hi nature my husband hallucinates and shouts out in his sleep. He micro sleeps most of the day and will fall asleep when I'm talking to him. Could be because I'm boring or his breathing..
    He also relies heavily on his nippy but isn't on any drugs.
    He won't take the oramorph as he thinks it's to help him on his way.
    I think it's to do with not getting rid of the co2 and really needs to be using the mask instead of the nippy.
    My husband has really struggled using the mask as he finds it very isolating and very uncomfortable. He says he is ready to give it another go so have my fingers crossed he will get on with it better this time.
    I would definitely ask for your mums blood gasses to be taken, this now done by taking blood from the earlobe instead of from a main artery which was quite painful. The respitory nurses to it at home for mick and he says it's painless.
    Hope you get some support and answers.
    Love jo

I would recommend that the co2 levels are checked and like Jo says, from the ear as the wrist one, whilst more accurate can be quite painful.

Love Terry
    TB once said that "The forum is still the best source for friendship and information."

It will only remain so if new people post and keep us updated on things that work or don't work and tips.

Please post on old threads that are of use so that others see them and feel free to start new subjects and threads.

TC You are such a woose lol. Dude