Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Remote Controlled Mains Sockets, Tips

Remote Controlled Mains Sockets, Tips

Remote Controlled Mains Sockets

Allows you to switch on and off, three pin plugged, mains powered appliances.

Uses include
    Table Lights,
    Fans,
    Radio and cassette players, (but not modem TVís or CD players),
    Heaters (See Safety Warning)

Description

One controller will operate three or four different plugs. They operate using radio waves. There are many different manufactures and expect to pay from about £17 upwards for three. Can have a range of 30 meters but normally a lot less if through walls etc.
    I have the controller switch on a pendant so I can hang it above my bed on the monkey bar and on other things if needed.

Safety Warning

If used on heaters it is strongly recommended that the heater is a permanently fix one or a solid radiator type that can be covered and will not cause a fire. This is because it might be switched on accidently when it is in a position that could cause a fire.
    The radio waves might interferer with other apparatus and could operate other remote plugs next door. Generally, the system can be set onto different frequencies, this means that you can run three sets of four plugs with three remotes.
    I have never had any problems with them operating and use them in the hospice as well.

At the moment, in Maplin, they cost £14.99 for three and the controller.

Love Terry
    TB once said that "The forum is still the best source for friendship and information."

It will only remain so if new people post and keep us updated on things that work or don't work and tips.

Please post on old threads that are of use so that others see them and feel free to start new subjects and threads.

Hi Terry,

This is a great piece of information I had no idea about. Thanks.

Barry
    Iím going to do this even if it kills me!

You did Barry , I covered this with Lynne & CC. Pluggy things after Lynne fell reaching for a plug. Hope you got them Lynne. Not trying to steal your thunder Terry. Dude x

Must be cognitive impairment Dude.
    Iím going to do this even if it kills me!

Lol.

Hi;

These are on sale in Maplin again. Three including one remote for under £15 and I would buy an extra remote and socket for under £6 as the old remotes could be damaged if dropped on a hard floor.

Ideal if you can't move very well but you have a good finger.

Love Terry
    TB once said that "The forum is still the best source for friendship and information."

It will only remain so if new people post and keep us updated on things that work or don't work and tips.

Please post on old threads that are of use so that others see them and feel free to start new subjects and threads.

Hello terry my mam was given one by social services I imagine it was prohibitively expensive ,it controlled the front door, telephone, intercom and some lights, there also A small LCD screen that had preprogrammed commands and an arm ,that she could press with her face ,so she could communicate.
    The intercom drove me round the bend as I couldn't work out how to turn it off so everybody could hear our conversations out side.

That could be very embarrassing Streetwise;

The one's that I am talking about are just a mains socket, It sounds as if your mum's was state of the art but you would need to make sure the outside speaker was off.

With many smart things today, there comes a risk of other people getting information for the wrong purposes.

Love Terry

That's a great idea Terry. Didn't know about these! Bending is an issue with me as have to hold on to something as balance is rubbish. Trying to do stuff like this one handed is frustrating! Especially as alot of sockets are low down.
    Last edited by Pinkelle; 15th October 2017 at 21:07.

Hi Pink;

I thick that Maplin ones are easiest, They normally retail for around £29 for four plug and one remote. I have two remotes which is handy in the bed room and we use one in the living room, on a different wave length so I don't turn the bed room things on.

There are cheaper Struts ones but they loss there identity if the power is switched off and have to be reset.

Love Terry