Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Oral Refreshment Ideas

Oral Refreshment Ideas

Hi All

I'm no longer able to swallow liquids even with thickener and crave refreshment in my mouth, especially in the morning waking up with a dry mouth after a night on the NIV. I used to have ice cold drinks and really want to find something similar but without the need to swallow!

I tried lemon and glycerine swabsticks but despite a nice flavour they are just too small.

Would love to know what other MND patients do to refresh their mouth, any hints or tips!

Thanks

Jody

I'm in the same boat, I hate the way my mouth feels.
    sorry about the absence of caps in my posts, my shift key is broken.

Hey Steve

Yeah it's a nightmare, my tongue also feels tight. I've tried ice pops too but even they are becoming difficult to handle now. Hope you're feeling a bit better by the way, Sarah mentioned to my Mum you hadn't been too well recently.

Let's hope we hear from someone with an ingenious refreshment idea!!

Jody

crap month. To be honest I felt everyone wrote me off.

In the Hospice now, which is lovely but it is indefinitely. They keep waiting for me to fall over.

Chest infections, great fun!
    sorry about the absence of caps in my posts, my shift key is broken.

Well prove them otherwise, you only start getting worse when you write yourself off so keep as positive as possible. I hope the chest infection clears quickly. I'm dreading getting my first one with MND!

Hi Jody and Steve:

I don't have the same problems but maybe some slush ice in the shower room. I do use watered-down mouth wash in the shower room.

Also people use larger sponge things on a stick with pain relief on, I wonder if you could buy plain ones.

I find that if my mouth opens while sleeping it gets very similar to that.

Hopefully someone else will come up with a better idea.

Love Terry
    TB once said that "The forum is still the best source for friendship and information."

It will only remain so if new people post and keep us updated on things that work or don't work and tips.

Please post on old threads that are of use so that others see them and feel free to start new subjects and threads.

From EBay, looked for mouth sponges, reading this implies that you can buy sponges tow.

The Twizzle may be used to provide efficient, tender oral care, helping alleviate the discomfort of Xerostomia (Dry Mouth), provide hydration and remove unpleasant ‘furring’ and mucus which, left untended can add distress to those already struggling with health issues.
    The miniscule, soft, rubber-like fingers of the twizzle are based on the microscopic villi which occur naturally in all our bodies to aid digestion. In the Twizzle, these ‘villi’ efficiently convey moisture while being strong and delicate enough to remove mucus and clean an uncomfortable coated tongue. So, when asked by the UK Medicines and Healthcare Products Regulatory Agency (MHRA) to explain our Twizzle in a few succinct words, we defined it as a ‘flexible villi mouth cleansing aid’ – it does the job and it does it well!

Twizzles have been specifically developed to ease the mouth discomfort often experienced when people are unwell or on specific medications.

The tiny flexible 'villi' or fingers help lift unwanted mucus and debris from the mouth and tongue and are gentle enough to aid in the application of moisturising gels.

They are a brilliant product - however, we have a quantity that although they'll do the job just as well as the perfect ones, they are not perfect, they are MISHAPES - A BIT WONKY! *So we are offering them here at a hugely REDUCED PRICE!

If you would like to take advantage of this please do, we are offering 50 Tapered Twizzle SECONDS and including one sample tube of Oralieve Mouth Moisturising Gel for you to try. *The Oralieve alone is worth it!
    TB once said that "The forum is still the best source for friendship and information."

It will only remain so if new people post and keep us updated on things that work or don't work and tips.

Please post on old threads that are of use so that others see them and feel free to start new subjects and threads.

Perhaps ask OT or SLAT:

Love Terry

Sorry to hear that Steve . Don't fall over. Love to you all Dude xo

Forum Member
    I find the best thing for me is to just take some spoonfuls of cold pure pineapple juice juice. I Can't drink it cos of choking

In fact this very morning, I woke at 2, lay for an hour trying to sleep with phlegm in the back of my throat! Peter eventually heard me thrashing around and bought me a glass and I have had about ten little spoonfuls that just moves around my mouth and it refreshes it up

It just seems to refresh your whole mouth. I will use it again!

My mouth felt so refreshed

Perhaps it will work fir you!

And Vick. I am always smothered in Vick to encourage me to get to breathe through my nose

Much love

Joycie X