Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Bypap machine advice?

Hybrid View

Bypap machine advice?

Hi everyone, I'm needing a bit off advice, I received a call from my dads mnd nurse, and he had his oxygen levels recorded 2 nights ago, she has told me that his levels are to low and mentions this bypap machine, I've to speak to my dad about it tonight and call her back tomorrow as to whether he wants this intervention.

What I'm really needing to know is one if anyone on here uses this every night and if the can describe what they thing about it and how it feels?.

Also I want to know how to break this to my dad as I know he is not going to take this well, can anyone give me some positive advice on how to tell him this information? Without worrying him.

I really wasn't expecting to receive this call as I thought he was far away from needing anything like that, feeling really worried now .... Katrina x

I am on bipap. It takes a bit of getting used to the mask, although there are several types available.

He will feel much better in a morning after a night on bipap. More energy, more alert etc.
    sorry about the absence of caps in my posts, my shift key is broken.

Hi Steve can you tell me if the bipap machine is a ventilator, I have been given a ventilator to try at home along with nebulizer and cough assist machine, the ventilator is something I have to build up to about 2 hours before nurse says I can use it during night. I am trying but feel as though I am suffocating and want to remove it as though the force of air is too much. Am I talking about the same machine as the bipap ? Help !!! X JAN Q.

Thanks for all the advice from you all, I spoke to my dad last night about it and he seemed to take it well 😊.. Katrina x

Katrina It really is no big deal. I've had 1 for at least 2 years. Mask fits over nose and Dad can remove it easily. I don't always use it or if I wake up in the night I take it off. It delivers a small amount of air as Dad breathes . Dude x

Hi Steve/Dude, thanks for that information, she told me that it pushes air in and sucks it out again, does this not feel weird?, what happens if you breath at s different time to the machine?, sorry these are prob silly questions, but it all sounds strange to me.

I'm not sure how to tell him, im trying to go in the positive approach as to how he will benefit from it, (he barely likes taking tablets let alone all this).

Katrina x

It coordinates with your breathing so you don't fight against it. You soon get used to it.

Coordinates - that the bugger i was looking for. It doesn't suck breath out, it just responds to Dad 's breathing . You can try it first to show him.

Ok thanks guys, maybe I could try it out to show him, they were also talking about some monitor for on his ear?, have either of you had that?x

Like Dude says, it delivers a small breath of air to help inflate the lungs. It keeps CO2 levels down whichcan cause headaches, fatigue, nausea etc.