Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Bypap machine advice?

Oh also next to say, they said his sats were sitting between 80-90, the lower end being for 20mins only and averaging at about late 80's early 90's,, not sure what all that means.. Katrina x

The ear thing measures CO2. 6 is the upper limit ideally. The BIPAP will help with SATs by giving his chest a rest. It is the oxygen saturation level in the blood.
    sorry about the absence of caps in my posts, my shift key is broken.

Normal blood oxygen levels in humans are considered 95-100 percent. If the level is below 90 percent, it is considered low resulting in hypoxemia. Blood oxygen levels below 80 percent may compromise organ function, such as the brain and heart, and should be promptly addressed.

The O2 levels are normally less in the elderly and when you are sleeping.

Also Co2 levels are quite important for us and 5% is considered as normal.

They use a monitor on the ear to measure the Co2 level or just take a very little blood from there to test it.

Love Terry

Amended after Steve's advice.
    Last edited by Terry; 2nd November 2015 at 18:44.
    TB once said that "The forum is still the best source for friendship and information."

It will only remain so if new people post and keep us updated on things that work or don't work and tips.

Please post on old threads that are of use so that others see them and feel free to start new subjects and threads.

Blood gas isn't the only way Terry, i've just spent a month on a resp ward, trust me A TOSCA can be fixed to the ear and give a reading.

It would be impractical to do a ABG every day.

Forum Member
    I didn't know the machine could help with fatigue and energy so hoping if my dad does get it after his hospital stay tonight it will help with that. He keeps saying he's exhausted and done in at the mo x

Yes it will 'charge' him up for the next day.

Hi Steve can you tell me if the bipap machine is a ventilator, I have been given a ventilator to try at home along with nebulizer and cough assist machine, the ventilator is something I have to build up to about 2 hours before nurse says I can use it during night. I am trying but feel as though I am suffocating and want to remove it as though the force of air is too much. Am I talking about the same machine as the bipap ? Help !!! X JAN Q.

Thanks for all the advice from you all, I spoke to my dad last night about it and he seemed to take it well 😊.. Katrina x

It sounds the same, I have heard it called a vent. Can they reduce the pressure?

The other option is a ramp so the pressure builds gradually over 15 minutes or so to help get used to it.

Make sure the mask is snug or it will blow to compensate for leaks.

Hi Steve thanks for reply, yes I think they can alter pressure as the nurse set it at the hospital before I left ,but she is coming to visit me after I have used it for while but think I will speak to her soon as I don't feel comfortable with it at all. I am having ten to fifteen minutes on it and then just want to take it off so how on earth I would manage to have it on all night I really don't know. X JAN Q.