Thread: Portable NIV / Nippy3+

Portable NIV / Nippy3+

Hi All

I'm off to Berlin for a few days next Monday, something I booked in March when I was more mobile and less reliant on machines to get by, but am stubbornly not letting that stop me from going!

My respiratory team have said they are happy with my blood oxygen levels, blood pressure etc for me to travel despite not being able to fit in a fitness to travel test. I didn't realise there was a 6-8 week waiting list and contacted them too late.

As I use a NIV machine (ResMed VPAP S) throughout the night and on & off during the day, which we are bringing with us, the respiratory team have also recommended and loaned us portable NIV / Nippy3+ machine for use on the plane, which is only an hour and a halfs flight. The portable NIV however weights a tonne (portable?!) and is about 4 times bigger than my wired NIV. We also need to bring a wheelchair, PEG feed for 4 days, and considering bringing the cough assist machine too, so just concerned about how much we will have to carry.

I just wonder if anybody else has travelled with a Nippy3+ machine and if you ended up using it on board. Or if it was useful? My oxygen levels are 98%, but my lung capacity is 39%. I'm aware of the cabin pressurisation but just weighing up the risks of taking the heavy portable NIV or not.

Comments welcome!

Thanks
    Jody
    Connect with me on Facebook, Twitter, Google+, or my blog jDv vs. MND

Hi Jody,

Did your airline pass you as Fit to Fly or the Resp Team?
    Generally, if any form of breathing assistance is required, an airline will insist on a cert.
    Medical equip needed inflight should be carried free of charge. I'd strongly advise you to contact your airline, you have to advise them of the wheelchair and request assistance anyway. Avoid potential nasty surprises at check-in.
    Bring scripts for feeds & any meds, a few plug adaptors & your EHIC.

Berlin is a great city - enjoy.
    Ellie.
    ​Diagnosed 03/2007. Sporadic Definite ALS/MND Limb Onset.
    Eye gaze user - No working limbs - No speech - Feeding tube - Overnight NIV.

Hi Ellie

My GP has provided a letter stating that I'm fit to travel & the medicines / equipment I'm bringing with me. The resp team also provided a letter and info on the nippy3+ that I'm supposed to carry on board. We've spoken to Easyjet to arrange the carriage of wheelchair and discussed equipment but they told us to just bring the letters to check in regarding carriage of equipment and all will be fine and organised on the day. Their website is very informative regarding special assistance : http://www.easyjet.com/en/help/prepa...ial-assistance

I have my EHIC but haven't arranged travel insurance due to this as assume the EHIC will be sufficient?

Thanks for your advice!
    Jody
    Connect with me on Facebook, Twitter, Google+, or my blog jDv vs. MND

Whilst the EHIC isn't designed to replace travel insurance, as far as the medical side is concerned, the German State Health System is excellent.
    ​Diagnosed 03/2007. Sporadic Definite ALS/MND Limb Onset.
    Eye gaze user - No working limbs - No speech - Feeding tube - Overnight NIV.

Hi Jody fair play to easyjet, sounds like they're sorted. How about asking can you use the drop down oxgen for take-off to see what it's like should you need it later. I've only passed through Berlin, stopped off for 1 night in Hilton, piano playing in lounge bar & a few scoops Wunderbar. Have a nice time. Dude.