Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Turning over in bed

Forum Member

Turning over in bed

I have problems turning over in bed. I need to wake up to do it and it then takes me a while to get back to sleep. Turning on to my right side is the worst and I frequently wake up with a pain in my right hip, which my husband thinks is down to not turning enough! It is true that as soon as I move around once up, it disappears. Has anyone experienced similar problems or does anyone have any ideas how to solve this problem?

Rose

Forum Member
    Dear Rose, Hello and welcome, yes I know what you mean I fall asleep and wake in exactly the same position, I'm not sure what the answer is but so far no ill effects apart from a bit of discomfort but I guess long term it might become an issue. You will get some good advice from more experienced members I'm sure. John

Hi Rose;

Your hubby is probably right. I think we lose the natural ability to move and turn in our sleep meaning we have to wake and make an effort to move and turn. Hip pain is very common, I can stay on my right side for a few hours but my left hip often is painful after an hour. Laying on my back is OK for hours.

I guess you are still sleeping with your husband in a double bed, if so your OT can probably get you a bed hand rail which will help.

Most of us go to a profile single bed with grab rails on both sides, I even have silk base sheet with another square of silk so that I can slide sideways when I want to turn.

You can even get mattresses that move by blowing up different areas so as we don't get bed sores etc. if needed.

Love Terry
    TB once said that "The forum is still the best source for friendship and information."

It will only remain so if new people post and keep us updated on things that work or don't work and tips.

Please post on old threads that are of use so that others see them and feel free to start new subjects and threads.

Hi Rose I sleep on my back put pull myself onto my right side using my grab rail on 'hospital' bed, I guess pulling yourself onto your left side may protect your right hip. i've heard having a pillow between knees can provide relief. Yes, I wake up to turn over. I think mnd affects auto'pilot. Dude x

Rose,
    I have the same problem. When I go to sleep, I stay in that same position until I awake. It's either my left side or my back. I wake up with pain in either left hip or lower back.

We have a plan. When my husband wakes up in the middle of the night for a break, he is going to wake me up to turn from either my back or side to save myself from being in pain when I wake in the morning.

Hope this helps.

Lynne
    Be Strong and Courageous!

The bed-sore, aches and pains problem associated with extended bed occupancy - a real monkey.

I am in hospital at the moment and have been using (a trial) an air mattress with the ToTo system which rocks the patient left to right using a very slow motion. It's excellent when patient is laid down and gave me several nights excellent rest with no pressure sensitive spots on awaking.

I am being issued one (+ air mattress) on return to home through CHC.

toto2.jpg
    Toodle pip!

Norman
    Wordpress Blog

That's well cool Norm. Put Celine on singing Titanic and you'll think you're on a cruise. I'll be asking the question. Take care. Dude.
    Last edited by Dude; 13th November 2015 at 14:54. Reason: d'oh

Forum Member
    Thanks for all the ideas - I'll try silky sheets first
    Rose

Hi Rose;

You could try and get your OT to supply a couple of "Wendylett" base sheets, These have an advantage of having a grip area around the edge so you don't slide off the edge when you get up and down.

Love Terry
    TB once said that "The forum is still the best source for friendship and information."

It will only remain so if new people post and keep us updated on things that work or don't work and tips.

Please post on old threads that are of use so that others see them and feel free to start new subjects and threads.

Forum Member
    Hi
    We have a thin air mattress as an addition to hubby's hospital bed, it's like a thin lilo and this helps him turn and also has reduced pain in his hips.
    His hospital bed has side rails that he uses, his hands and arms are still good at the mo thankfully.
    Our Macmillan nurse arranged this to be delivered to us.

Thanks
    Sylvia