Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Christmas

Christmas

I really don't know whether to try and have a "normal" Christmas because my husband won't be able to enjoy the food, and can't give or receive any presents. My sister and brother-in-law want to visit and have a normal family Christmas, but I am not sure that a low key quiet time wouldn't be better for me and my husband. Others thoughts on this much appreciated.

Hi Annie, I am having trouble deciding what to do this xmas too, I live on my own but I was not diagnosed till June this year , and spent last xmas at a friend's house but I am now so not able to walk at all and have to use motorised wheelchair in my flat, am worried that I won't be able to physically get around in his house. I have two sons but there homes are not wheelchair friendly either,so other than struggling at my friends I can see me being at my own home,then the other problem is as you said I won't be able to shop for Xmas presents this year either. Not easy is it when we have always been very mobile, xxx love Jan Q.

oh Jan it must be awful living on your own and relying on a wheelchair that won't go around your sons houses. I do hope your friend or your sons can come to you over Christmas and do some Christmas shopping for you. I can do Christmas shopping for the family and send the presents from myself and my husband, who is bed bound, but there is almost nothing I can give him except lots of TLC. and he is upset he won't be able to go out and buy anything for me.

We don't have normal Christmases any more. It all is so much work for my wife and also I am quite isolated if there are four or more people.

Perhaps ask people to come around for a couple of hours Jan, and bring some nibbles with them.

It's a hard time, we will make it a easy day.

I manage to buy a few presents on line and I use my PayPal account.

Anyway I need the rest after Christmas eve.

Love Terry
    TB once said that "The forum is still the best source for friendship and information."

It will only remain so if new people post and keep us updated on things that work or don't work and tips.

Please post on old threads that are of use so that others see them and feel free to start new subjects and threads.

My views on this subject are as follows:

Don't let this disease dictate. If you lock yourself away in isolation then family and friends will avoid you. I appreciate the practical challenges but if you can't go to them then bring them to you. Even just one friend or family member would make your Christmas special. If you take food via a tube, the other person/s can still eat with you. There are some wonderful meals ready made these days.

I have bought my presents this year online. Nobody needs the hassle of fighting your way through crowded shops and this includes food shopping. M&S have a catalogue where you tick what you want, hand it in and collect it when you want. Someone could do this for you.

Please don't be alone at Christmas.

Love and best wishes.
    Barry
    Iím going to do this even if it kills me!

Baa humbug .

Forum Member
    It's my 1st Xmas since diagnosis, every member of my family including myself and hubby are going to a lovely hotel (where we got married)
    It worked out expensive and at first, I didn't want to be around so many people at once but then I thought, NO, I won't let this disease stop me. Although I will have to ask for my meals to be mashed or liquidised and to overcome the dread I have eating in front of people, I am now looking forward to it. Fortunately, I am mobile but I still think ordering gifts on line is the way to do shopping.
    Please do not think of having Xmas alone Jan. Note what others have advised.
    Mags xx

Annie This my seventh or eighth since diagnosis, second without solid food. I love Christmas and love to see the grandkids playing with their toys and having fun. Last year, with visiting family and friends the house was packed all day. I'll soon be going on my usual trip to Toys R us or Smyths to get a selection of 'grandad's toys' for them to open at my house. I give my kids ? - correct. I see no reason whatsoever to allow my illness to interfere with mine or my family's enjoyment. Dude xx

Forum Member
    Well said Dude,
    My four grand children will be coming to the hotel Xmas and I'm so excited to watch them open their presents. I got my 8 year old grand daughter a huge guy the gorilla from Smythes, it's much bigger than her, I know she had her eye on it. I love it, I want one myself��
    I'm also going to think of plenty of games we can all play.
    Xxx

Another place I'm going is Dobbies garden centre. They have loads of unusual games, food & candy for Christmas. They have stores all over the place. Well worth a little ride out. Dude x