Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Christmas

Sounds great CC. Caprese, prosciutto, pecorino and lots of Chianti just to keep you going until the turkey is served. I'm just going to book my flights to NY. Send me your address.

Love
    Barry
    Iím going to do this even if it kills me!

Forum Member
    LOL

You’re more than welcomed Barry, and it sounds like you’ll be bringing the antipasto ! Caprese my favorite…plenty of Chianti will be waiting for you

CCxox

Forum Member
    Hi does anyone have any ideas on things to do on Christmas day? It's only me and my mum this year, our first year without dad. We're not sure whether to go away, stay at home or what ��

Hi tabby, we were just talking about this very subject last night me wondering if we should go out for a meal or what to do,, don't feel like celebrating this year at all, if I didn't have my son then I probably wouldn't bother,, what are your thoughts on it?.. Anyone else having these thoughts?....
    Katrina x

Forum Member
    It's tough isn't it. We were actually thinking of going to Edinburgh for 3 nights, the only place open on Christmas day is Edinburgh zoo!! Weird way to spend Christmas but might take our minds off things. But then I couldn't imagine being away from round here. Decisions, decisions! Xx

I would have thought that it would be good to go away as you might just think of your dad all day, Tabby;

Love Terry
    TB once said that "The forum is still the best source for friendship and information."

It will only remain so if new people post and keep us updated on things that work or don't work and tips.

Please post on old threads that are of use so that others see them and feel free to start new subjects and threads.

Forum Member
    Hi tabby
    I think you both should go away, not do the same thing you have done on previous christmases.
    I lost both my parents and a brother within 18 months. So I can understand why you are struggling with this.
    Seeing as you won't want to celebrate, understanderly so. Maybe book a little cottage and take the photo album with you and have your own Xmas remenising, have a wee drink for your dad. You can cook Xmas dinner away from your home.
    Whatever you decide I'm sure it's will be right for you both.
    Mags x

Forum Member
    Hi Tabby

I had a friend who's 19 year old son was tragically killed in a car accident right before Thanksgiving, for her and her family life was never the same nor were the Holidays.

They decided to go out of the country every year for Christmas and return after the new year. It's been close to 10 years now, and they still leave the country for Christmas.

Do what your heart tells you to do, and it will feel and be right.

CCxox

This subject has brought back many happy memories of when we used to host a Christmas dinner for 14 family members. I love cooking so I would prepare menus in advance. Some of the family are vegetarian so I would offer 3 options, meat, fish or veggie (never the traditional turkey as my wife is not keen).

Over the years as the older generation passed away and the children had their own family we were down to my wife and me plus the 2 mothers but still determined to play host we would carry on with the tradition just a scaled down version. Now that my m.i.l is in a dementia care home we are down to 3 this year. We could go out but we like to eat in the evening and most restaurants close after lunch. Whilst I can still manage limited cooking I have decided to buy easy to cook food from M&S this Christmas.

I hope that whatever everyone does during the festive season they are fulfilled and able to share memories of happy times.

Love and best wishes.
    Barry
    Iím going to do this even if it kills me!

Forum Member
    Hi Barry, sorry to hear that but good you have plans. Yes we used to have big family Christmases too until relatives emigrated to new Zealand or passed away. This one is going to be tough but me and mum have just booked to go to Edinburgh for Christmas so that should take our minds of it. Although now I feel totally guilty about leaving my little cats with a cat sitter on Christmas day!!! Aaagh I can't win lol x