Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bath/shower

Forum Member

Bath/shower

I have a shower in the bath & i have to climb in the bath to have a shower & im struggling to get in as my bath is one of the really old baths. They tried putting a swivel chair but its to high for me. Then they tried to put a chair that lowers me into the bath but it didnt fit properly.
    Any advice please as im now getting desperate!

Hi Denise;

There are quite a few different bath chairs and maybe your OT can get something that will fit. Also the Hospice's OT might pop around and look at ways.

I think you need to look at a more permanent fix for your situation.

Make sure that you always have a way of getting help as I have been stuck in a bath on holiday as we could not get me out.

Love Terry
    TB once said that "The forum is still the best source for friendship and information."

It will only remain so if new people post and keep us updated on things that work or don't work and tips.

Please post on old threads that are of use so that others see them and feel free to start new subjects and threads.

Forum Member
    Hi Terry. The OT at the hospice is the one who ordered these products but my bath is such an weard size. I cant sit in the bath at all as i know the fire brigade would have to be called, & that would not be a pretty sight for them ha!..
    They have contacted essex social care but they say it could be weeks before they come round as it isnt priority. I would like a wet room but cant see that happening!

I would ask the OT again if she has any more ideas or different seat arrangement ideas.

I once went out on a call out from a pretty young lady in her night dress saying her bath was overflowing. Poor girl. Actually been to many calls involving baths, from people who's toe has got stuck in the tap to an old gent that had locked the door and was stuck in the bath in a locked upstairs flat.

Love Terry
    TB once said that "The forum is still the best source for friendship and information."

It will only remain so if new people post and keep us updated on things that work or don't work and tips.

Please post on old threads that are of use so that others see them and feel free to start new subjects and threads.

Forum Member
    Oh wow. I didn't know you was a fireman.. what do you do in a situation like that, do you laugh or act like a pro!
    The first time i got stuck in the bath it took my husband ages to get me out & my arm hadnt ccmpletely gone then, so i know now that i can't do it..
    I bet the elderly gentleman was quite scared being locked in the bathroom. X

Hi Denise
    I applied for and got a disabled service grant of 17 K from my local council . Work comenced within two months of aplication . Everyone including those from my local MND branch told me it was waste of time . I walked in to the grants office and asked if funding was available and how long aproval would take. They are very much income lead , and not that bothered about savings if you have less than 26 k you got 90%. It must be worth an ask.

Forum Member
    Hi
    I've just installed a shower pod type cubicle into my dining/lounge room. We could not afford an extension and did not have a room we could transform into a wet room. The shower pod cubicle Is made by Impey called the Snowden and can easily get a shower chair on wheels via a ramp. I added a separate loo with bio-bidet. In total it's cost me 2.6 inc labour, new Lino and separate pump to help waste shower water get away. It's transformed hubby's shower routine and given independence back in the loo dept. I've made sure a hoist can be used when needed. My brother was part of the labour and electrician but he never charged love him so I was lucky. I a
    So can accommodate his hospital bed when and if that is moved downstairs.
    Thanks
    Sylv

Forum Member
    Thankyou kevin, if i don't get any satisfaction i will try a loan. Trouble is im in a council house so not sure how far they will go to changes.

Forum Member
    Thankyou sylv. That sounds like such a good idea as i am limited to space, so that makes sense.

Forum Member
    Someone I knew lived in a council house and they converted the shed, which was attached to the house into a wet room and changed the kitchen so that she could use it from her wheelchair. If you don't ask, you don't get. Good luck.