Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Anti depressants

Forum Member
    Hello katrina,

I don't use a straw for that very reason. I do sip orange squash, thickened with thick and easy, and use a teaspoon. And I can drink fresubin

You just have to be careful

Love

Joycie X

Forum Member
    Thick and easy is good but in my case, I am sensitive to the texture so don't drink it. But if dad can, that's good.
    I have used a straw for ages, I clench the straw between my side teeth, so u can control how munch u take and get ready to swallow it.
    It's only the past few weeks it has been dribbling back out.
    I'm just getting ready as, me, my daughter and three sisters are going to the theatre to see soul legends, I even put a vodka in my peg!!!
    Lol
    Xx

Hi Kat I can't remember, is Dad still eating & choking or has he gone on Ensure or similar. Dude xo

Forum Member
    Hi katrina my dad was exactly the same, he was given antidepressants and for a while he was fine laughing and joking and then he went to being all withdrawn and wouldn't interact with people, because my dads mnd progreesed quite quickly and hes in the hospice at the moment im not sure if the dose was made higher or not but it might be an idea to have ypur gp or your mnd nurse from your mnd team to maybe review it with your dad I hope things work out for your dad and yourself take care jilly beanxx

Hi joycie... Dad doesn't like the thick and easy.. It's not the nicest.. Me and my partner tried it out in different drink to see what was good and what wasn't.. Dad knows when it's been put in coz it feels like wallpaper paste.. Not that I've tried that hahaha!... Everything is worth a shot to see what works for him and what doesn't... X

Hi mags... I might try the straw idea with dad and see what he thinks off that.. Dads dribbles back out and it goes back into the glass as he holds it close to his mouth sometimes... Lol@putting vodka down your peg,, quite right,, I hope you have a great night.. X

Hi Dude... Dad is still eating and choking.. Somedays he can eat something which I think would be difficult and he'll be not too bad.. Then other days the tiniest crumb or something can set him off,, it just depends.. Mum was telling him this morning he really needs to consider this peg as its getting worse and it's very scary.. He doesn't like the idea off this at all so he's persevering.... Is drinking ensure a good way to go if he doesn't want a peg do you think?... X

Hi jillybean.... That's exactly the way dad was.. Once they started working he was laughing and joking for a few months then all off a sudden since Xmas he's become withdrawn, so I spoke to his mnd team and they spoke to his GP yesterday and they said the anti depressant can be increased but they want to see him at doctors surgery first which he also hates all appointments.... So hopefully that will be done next week and he will be getting patches for saliva.. So will see what happens... Is you dad always in a hospice or there just sometimes?.. I'm not sure how the hospice thing works?.... Katrina x

Hi Kat Yes, for sure 5 Ensure a day - sorted, no more choking, strength and weight maintained. I'm not sure why folk persevere with choking, part denial, part carrying on as 'normal', beats me. It's free as well lol. Dude x

Hi dude,, I def think it's down to part denial, part not wanting to give up something you've done your whole life, when you first went on to ensure did you want to do it or did you try and eat for as long as you could?,, is your swallowing affected much? As dad can choke on drinks aswell... Also do the ensure drinks fill you up like you've had something to eat?.. Sorry million questions... Katrina x

Kat Does he realise how frightened you and mum are when he chokes. I was realistic , I switched to Ensure quickly. My swallowing is 3 out of 10. I have to partially dissolve tablets in my mouth before swallowing. He won't choke on Ensure because of consistency . I've had 2000 without incident. Like steak and chips. 5 a day , 84kg for 2 years, weight last week 86kg. Dude x

Hi dude,, I've just been on he phone to mum about that idea about the drinks and she thinks dad might go for that and I've to speak to him tomorrow about it,, can I ask if you have a peg fitted aswell?,, that's good you've not had any incidents since having them,, be good if hey actually tasted like steak and chips lol,, and great that your weight has stayed the same ,, def liking the idea off that if he won't get peg.... Thanks Kat x