Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Recording video messages for children

Forum Member

Research Request: Recording video messages for children

Hello everybody,

My name is Olly and Iím currently doing a PhD at Edge Hill University in Ormskirk. I have a specific research interest in children and young people who help care for family members who have MND, and also young people who are bereaved due to the disease. I have been through the journey myself and so I am extremely passionate about supporting other children and young people who are currently in a similar situation.

My research is investigating the use of a digital legacy for people affected by MND. This means video-recording memories, accomplishments and messages specifically for use by children in the person's family.

I am planning to interview three individual groups of people from now until April 2017:

1 People who have been diagnosed with MND and are recording/have recorded a digital legacy for a child or young person in their family (e.g. son/daughter/grandchild/niece/nephew)

2 Young people (aged 11-24) who currently care for a family member with MND and use a pre-recorded digital legacy as a means of support.

3 Young people (aged 11-24) who are bereaved due to losing a family member who had MND using a pre-recorded digital legacy to support them whilst they grieve.

I am aiming to interview around 10 people from each group to investigate their thoughts, views and experiences of being affected by MND and creating or using a digital legacy. These groups do not have to be related (i.e. a person with MND might be willing to be interviewed but young carer might not, or vice-versa). Interviews can be carried out face-to-face or via Skype depending on your location and will be informal making it feel more like a conversation lasting around 20-30 minutes.

Please feel free to PM me through the forum, email me clabburo@edgehill.ac.uk and have a look at my entry on the association research blog:
    https://mndresearch.wordpress.com/20...igital-legacy/
    Last edited by Olly2015; 14th January 2016 at 16:35. Reason: clearer title

Hi Olly I used to play rugby against Edge hill when you were a lowly college. Good luck with your research. Dude.

Forum Member
    Hi Olly

That sounds like a very worthwhile, and valuable project you're undertaking. The very best to you, and good luck in your research.

CCxx

Forum Member
    Hi Dude, thanks for your support!
    You should see the sports facilities here now- pretty impressive! Just before the London Olympics we had athletic teams living and training here!

Forum Member
    Thank you CC! I know I'm biased, but i think so too!
    Take care, Olly

Hi Olly Yes I know , they are amazing. My best friend was involved in some of the work there. I've been past many times on my way to Burscough where had a narrowboat. Take care. Dude.

Hi Olly, that's sounds like a good idea, if you have been through that yourself, can I ask what has made you pick the ages 11-24?, good luck with your research and interviews.. Katrina

Forum Member
    Hello Katrina, thanks for your post. I have chosen those age brackets based on current research (and lack of!) Young people up to the age of 24 are often classed as young carers and one of the big hopes of my project is to identify a method of support to young carers and bereaved young people.

Kat I'm sure Olly will raise upper age limit a wee bit. Dude x

That's really interesting olly,, I think some young carers an get forgotten about and how much more pressure it is on them compared to an adult.... You will need to let us know how it goes.. Katrina

Hi Dude,, he would need to raise it a big bit if I was too fit in lol ..... Kat x