Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: laughing fits

peepyh

Talking laughing fits

Has anyone else had uncontrollable laughing fits and how have they dealt with them? I tend to start laughing at mealtimes, which usually ends with me choking or spraying food and drink all over the table. Or I laugh during arguments with my partner - not helpful!! My partner says it's the hardest/most disconcerting of my symptoms. I'm on 60mg citalopram but they don't seem to have helped.

BTW - on the first attempt at typing this I got to the end and then myy twitchy fingers somehow deleted it!! Annoying!!

I think most if not all have uncontrollable emotions of either crying or laughing or both. Mine seem to have calmed down over the years, however, I still have my days. I think the worst part for me was when my daughter use to fall over as I would be in fits of laughter obviously she did not think it was funny and the more I tried to stop the harder I would laugh. The same with arguments or telling the kids off, who is gonna take you seriously when your either laughing or have the biggest grin on your face imaginable lol I have never taken anything to try and stop it even though it can get embarrassing at times.

They say laughter is the best medicine ;-)
    Best wishes

Jeannie

Please donate and share forever grateful xx Please see the link https://www.gofundme.com/83tq5j-help..._co_campmgmt_w

sarahezekiel
    I have the same problem. Like Jeannie, it seems to better now, especially the crying. I don't like going to school shows because I always embarrass my children. I've never tried medication. I always try to think of something really sad, to stop laughing. I hate it. Looking back, it was my first symptom. I didn't know what was going on!

Jeannie, aren't there some posts on PatientsLikeMe about what drugs people take?

Sarah

sarahezekiel
    PS. I just had a look at PatientsLikeMe and the meds for emotional lability are listed here

Amitriptyline is the most commonly used drug, with Citalopram second. There's a long list, including Marijuana. That could make you laugh more!

Hope this helps.

Sarah
    Last edited by sarahezekiel; 20th August 2011 at 22:02.

peepyh
    Thanks Jeannie and Sarah

The only thing I can compare it to is having the giggles whilst stoned - so I agree marijuana might be counter-productive! But it's no fun at all. Today I was trying to groom my dog, and every time I managed to coax him onto the sofa I would suddenly guffaw loudly and scare him off. I'm seeing my doctor next month so will ask re medication.

I thought my crying bouts were just a rational reaction to having MND - how can one tell if they're a symptom?

angnmick
    I'd like to say as Micks wife that he usually starts laughing uncontrollably when we are arguing but then that only ends up with us both laughing so maybe EL isn't so bad after all it actually deflates the rows in our house. xx Ang

sarahezekiel
    Peepyh

I think that if you find it really difficult to stop crying, it's probably a symptom. As you're experiencing the laughing, it's more than likely emotional lability. I used to cry before MND, but could stop myself after a while. Now I can't.

I think you're very conscious of it and that makes it worse. It will get better in time and maybe you can find a medication that will help. You might want to try hypnotherapy. It could help you find a method of dealing with it.

Ang, I had terrible trouble when I kept laughing at my ex-husband. It made him really angry but I couldn't stop! I'm glad that you and Mick can laugh together!

Best wishes

Sarah

angnmick
    Thanks Sarah, he's been giggling all day today at nothing and its made me smile. Just wish he wouldn't get so stressed out over the little stuff but maybe thats EL too in its own way. Ang xx

luce
    Quote Originally Posted by angnmick View Post
    Thanks Sarah, he's been giggling all day today at nothing and its made me smile. Just wish he wouldn't get so stressed out over the little stuff but maybe thats EL too in its own way. Ang xx
    HI all
    my mum asked me to put up " I laugh when i am alone in town, in my wheelchair.... I just get out my mobile phone and pretend i am talking to someone. Once i wanted to get on a bus and couldn't stop laughing. I kept going to the next bus stop (but was still laughing so could not wheel onto the bus)- 3 miles later and over an hour later I eventually arrived at my sisters house."

Margaret
    (typed by Luce)

Forum Member
    There is some info on Neudexta which is now available in the USA on the mnda website. I know that Prof Kevin Talbot was recently giving evidence in support of approval for prescription here.