Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Suction machine

Suction machine

Hi everyone, I didn't want to put my 2 questions today together on same post as im not sure if they need to be seperate, however..... Dad was given some sort of suction machine at end off last week delivered to the house by home vent team, (the only appointment I couldn't make as was at hospital with my son),, so mum was there and she says the woman didn't really know how the machine worked so couldn't really show her how to use this, (woman was there to pick up ear monitor for co2)... So now we're left with a suction machine and don't know how to use it.

I know it might sound simple enough that it suck stuff out but what we're not sure off is where do you suck from, how far back can you go without touching gag reflex?, how long do you do this for without sucking too much away? It also said you should be trained before using this, is that the case?.. It's s bit frustrating that dad has lots of saliva, phlem and choking episodes yet we don't know how to use this?.... I've spoke to mnd nurse and she said she can explain this on the 15th, but would be handy to know before then just incase.. Any advice would be welcome... Thanks Katrina x

Hi Katrina;

I don't know much about the suction machines. Ask the nurse who delivered the machine to come again so you can see as well as your mum. Do you know what your dads CO2 levels were at night time as well as in day time?

Love Terry
    TB once said that "The forum is still the best source for friendship and information."

It will only remain so if new people post and keep us updated on things that work or don't work and tips.

Please post on old threads that are of use so that others see them and feel free to start new subjects and threads.

Kat They don't show you cos it's common sense, just stop short of gag reflex and let dad do it himself. My daughter nearly choked me lol. Good suck. roll eyes. Dude x
    Dad can also suck mucus out of nose to save on Kleenex. Gross.com

Hi Terry, he had a monitor that was on his finger overnight just before Christmas and the nurse phoned me the day after they took it back to say that his sats had dropped to 89 for 20mins during the night and the rest of the time they were in there early 90's, so they wanted to get the ear monitor on him instead, but due to the forth rod bridge being closed they wanted to wait until after Christmas, so he had this done again on Minday overnight at home and they picked it up on Tuesday, so havnt had the results of that yet.... Katrina x

Hi Dude,, I wasn't sure if it was uses for all the saliva pooling in mouth or if it was for the phlem or food getting stuck in throat, because where he is saying it's getting stuck is sorta where your Adam's apple roughly, so as that was past gag reflex I wasn't sure how far you can put suction thing without either choking him or making him sick... Talking of being sick, my mum has asked me a few times, if dad is sick will he manage to bring up sickness without choking?... I'll prob end up doing the same as your daughter (arnt you both lucky to have daughters like us).... Kat x

Kat Yeh it gets caught around Adams apple area and when you hack it up it's warm.. Lovely subject.. Tell dad to chew those sirloins properly because lumps go down easier than coming up. Yeh , I think you and our Amy are looking for inheritance LOL. Dude x

Hi Dude, that sounds nice,, he has real trouble trying to get the cough to get anything to come up the way, he struggles getting anything up and down, (hence the reason why I think he has agreed now to having peg done)... I bet dad wishes he could still eat steak, that went off the menu a few months ago,, Shame!,, Me and Amy will have to make sure we getting signatures on the dotted line before coming at you both with suction device lol ... Kat x

Forum Member
    Just to reassure you Kat, mum was sick lots of times during her illness and never choked at those times. She had an NG tube and a suction machine around the same time too. I imagine the force needed to physically vomit takes it past where you might choke.

Kat Is dad on the Ensures or still ramming food in. Dude x
    I did my will 2 weeks after diagnosis, give my kids a copy and still here 8 years after. They pray for me every night that I fall off the perch. lol

Hi candle, that's really interesting to know, as I worried as tow hat would happen if dad was ever to be sick, thanks for letting me know, that gives me peace of mind a bit .... Katrina x