Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Communication

Forum Member
    Predictable does have a bit to let you write - I was told you can use a finger for it but I was absolutely useless at that when I tried. I can't help feeling a stylus would be a lot easier!

We never got told that about the predictable app,, I'm looking forward to trying it out now.... I've got stylus,s in the house so will let you know how it goes with one off them ..... Katrina x

Hi Terry .. I completely understand what you are saying that Tablet / Ipad with speech apps is the way to go but in some people who are not techie small steps are required first .. This is why i started the posting as there may be others out there just like my friend, not techie ... My friend does not have a mobile phone so to put a Tablet or iPad into his hand is daunting to him ..
    I have Speech Assistant on two of my tablets and that is free to download onto a Tablet so as time moves on I will introduce it. He has looked at it but is not confident in using it yet but with the SPen and writing on the Tablet he has no problem. DVD
    Last edited by Dvd; 11th February 2016 at 18:25.

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by Susan View Post
    Predictable does have a bit to let you write - I was told you can use a finger for it but I was absolutely useless at that when I tried. I can't help feeling a stylus would be a lot easier!
    Hi Susan .. You need a very fine pen nib to write on a screen ..a stylus is thicker and does not write as good .. Perhaps you could get a fine pen nib and try again .. The Galaxy Tablet i have was designed for this feature and comes with a special SPen dvd

Yes Susan;

A stylus is what my SALT used, but I didn't try it because it takes me so long to write. Stylus's are cheep.

If you don't have use of your hands, don't forget that some things including laptops can be controlled by speech, if you have a good voice.

Love Terry
    TB once said that "The forum is still the best source for friendship and information."

It will only remain so if new people post and keep us updated on things that work or don't work and tips.

Please post on old threads that are of use so that others see them and feel free to start new subjects and threads.

Great thread Dvd;

From little acorns ------

Love Terry
    TB once said that "The forum is still the best source for friendship and information."

It will only remain so if new people post and keep us updated on things that work or don't work and tips.

Please post on old threads that are of use so that others see them and feel free to start new subjects and threads.

Hi Katrina,

I use both the keyboard and the writing board on predictable. The finger or stylus are thick so you have to use the return key to move the text into the speech section then delete and start the next phase of text. After a bit of practice and some patience your dad will pick it up. Reminds me of when in 1996 my employer gave me a laptop and said the secretaries have gone, type your own reports. Needless to say I didn't know how to switch it on let alone a querty keyboard.

Barry
    Iím going to do this even if it kills me!

Hi Barry, maybe a mixture off the two would be a good idea to get him used to it,,and once he can no longer use the writing bit , he will just use the typing bit more without realising it, if that makes sense... Lol@not able to switch it on... I taught dad how to email, he says that it takes that long to type... It would take forever to have a conversation... I think that's what puts him off... Anything is worth a go .... Katrina x

What a brilliant idea Dvd, why have I not thought of this???

I can mostly understand what Julie is trying to say but sometimes I need Julie a 'Air Write' the first letter of a word in the air and with her finger, once I have the first letter I can work out the rest of the word.

Julie is a tech dinosaur, absolutely no idea in technology, did not and does not want to know and will never use a keyboard of any type, however Julie can still write things like birthday cards, shopping lists albeit in a weird way to others as she now hold her pen in such a way that you would think that it would be impossible to write, a bit like a 'righty' watching a 'lefty' write I suppose then add a bit more contortion too the mix... But I can read her writting fine.

So, I am going to investigate this a bit more as it seems like a super-dooper idea as Julie can get across what it is she is trying to say without the need to type which she will NOT do under any circumstances. me I think it is 'bananas' that folk find it hard to type but that is bev#cause I have been doing so for decades (including typewriters before technology came along) but for someone who have never typed it MUST seem so alien and hard (finding all the correct keys etc)... Like me, don't ask me to knit as I cannot, never have done, so why start now... Get my point.

Defo going to look into this for my Julie... Many Thanks for the info.

Dave

Hi Dave K .. Many thanks for you reply .. My friend used to " Air Write " first letter / s in the air then I grasped that word. This mostly happened when we are out and about and with a lot of traffic and even in restaurants it can get noisey so the noise just blocked out what speech he had left .. So he would have used "Air Write"..
    Now no more ",Air Writing" I take the Tablet when we go out and about and he writes the words on it ..
    dvd
    Last edited by Dvd; 12th February 2016 at 12:43.